Re: Signature Characters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 15:28:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.castle.org, Jeff Johnston writes:
Shiri Dori wrote:

In lugnet.castle.org, Cale Leiphart writes:
I also often have reasons behind my namings. For example, my character Kfir
is
hebrew for lion... I'm actually rethinking that name, because Kfir himself
is
NOT connected at all to the lion kingdom.

Well, it could be a name that's more symbolic than literal.  The lion is the
"King of the Beasts", and IIRC Kfir is an animal trainer of some kind, no? It
might be a bit of hubris to style himself after the King of the Beasts, even
if he's a very *good* trainer, but it's a possibility...

You're right about Kfir being animal-connected.... not really a TRAINER, tho'.
That's why I came to choose this name. At first I was thinking maybe a "tiger"
connotation but couldn't find any name (that I liked) that means tiger. (1)
So I settled for Kfir, which is a name I like a lot. I didn't think of the
connection to the Lion Kingdom at the time.

Because of the "King of the Beasts" symbolism, the lion is also often used as
a royal symbol.  Are you sure he's unconnected?

LOL... I'm not SURE, just that the thought never crossed my mind. I have some
very complex connections between characters (that I'm NOT going to reveal!)
but such a thing actually hadn't even occured to me. In fact I haven't given
much thought to Kfir's background, instead I was focusing on Scar's heritage
and the Big Five (which I haven't formally introduced yet) (2).

He might be an unacknowledged
illegitimate child, or the son or grandson of such a person...that would open
up all sorts of political possibilities, and it might even give him a reason
to support Scar in her quest for revenge...

that would fit in but maybe. My storyline is beginning to sound like a soap-
opera (he cheated on her, their child wanted revenge, but his girlfriend was--
OMG, the horror!)

Besides royalty, the lion is often used as a symbol for strength, so that
could be worked in as well.

Yeah, I'll hafta think about this whole thing. I'll be prone to leave Kfir
with his name and just figure out what it has to do with anything.

Thanks for the ideas! That's a whole lot of food for thought you just gave me.

-Shiri

(1) I searched the NameDB: http://incompetech.com/named/

(2) I still need a pink marker-paint! Ve-Hamevin Yavin. (3)

(3) That's a hebrew saying for: if you should get it, you will. Or something
of the sort.