 Castle / 6136
Re: Painting Lego (Was: More Dragons)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 22:54:49 GMT

I have absolutely no qualms about painting, cutting, gluing, sanding scraping, etc.
etc. parts I have plenty of, or just don't like.  Johnny Thunders, Qui-Gons, and
Willa Witch's are all customizing-fodder.  OTOH, I won't touch my pre-1995 Castle
figures.  I learned my lesson after coming out of my DA and trying to reconstruct my
old sets after discovering the new ones weren't that great.  I found a bunch of
brown-shirted peasants, but no Wolfpack members.  I had scraped the wolf symbol off,
having been completely unimpressed with the 'Pack when they debuted in the 90s (they
were partially responsible for driving me into my DA).  Come 2005, no doubt I will be
wailing about how dumb I was to kill off all but one of my Willas when she is
outnumbered 30 to 1 by Princess Storm clones, heehee...

As for orcs, I have tried to sculpt an original headpiece (like the Jar Jar head) out
of Super Sculpey.  The plan was to make the piece, make a mold and cast copies of it
to make an army.  But I stopped after realizing I had just made a pretty good
Tasmanian Devil (TM) instead.  I plan on trying again when I finish up some other
projects.

My take on the customizing question is, if you feel comfortable losing the piece
you'll be modifying, why not? If you're not happy with a piece as it comes out of the
box, why not alter it to make it more satisfying to you?  OTOH, as I mentioned above,
there is the "value" question for better or worse with all toys nowadays, not just
LEGO, especially for adult MIB "collectors."  I don't consider myself either fully a
TOMB ("tear-out-of-mint-box"--a term from the GI Joe newsgroup) Raider, or a MIB
collector, but a bit of both depending on what I want/need/have at the moment.  All
my old (pre-1995) sets are now back to their original form.  I did this for a number
of reasons:
1. they're better designed (IMO) than the new sets and are better self-standing
models
2. nostalgia
3. to reaffirm that I have a collection that is almost complete (I like how the
models look when everything is built and arranged in a diorama)
4. to sell or trade off any duplicates to finance future purchases
However, from what I've seen of the new sets, their "collectability" is limited by
the fact that they just aren't (in my opinion) as well-designed as the older sets,
and so I tend to take any duplicates of the new sets apart for parts which more than
occasionally do go under the knife.  Plus the fact that since these sets are still
widely available to MIB collectors at or below retail, if you're speculating, you'd
have to wait decades before the demand exceeds supply.  I can't wait 30 years to get
my satisfaction, I want to play with my toys NOW!!!

Anyway, it seems a very personal thing.  I think you have to decide for yourself if
radically modifying a piece so that you lose the original, but gain a new original,
is worth it.  Good luck!
binky

"John Carroll" <johnc@digitalacropolis.com> wrote in message
O.K. What is everyone's opinion on painting lego?   I am currently debating
painting a few minifig heads olive green for an Orc Army.  I have everything
(except the heads assembled) I have been trying different heads but to no
avail.  Has anyone else tried making orcs?  as far as I can tell TLC doesn't
make any green minifig heads.  I have tried the mummy head a bunch of blue and
d.grey space heads and the othe podracer's head they all look cool but don't
look right.  The mummy head looks best but doesn't make me think orc.  anyone
tried stingrays heads I don't have any but I doubt that they would look right
tho the face is really cool.  maybe for a demon army.  Has the custom lego
direct ordering started yet (and how does that work)?  I would like (maybe) a
mummy face printed on a bellville green (I think that bellville has pastel
green peices).  I wish they would have custom minifig designs.  As long as all
the screens are of current sets it souldn't be dificult.  OR maybe a private
promoset.  ahhhhhhhhh

my opinion which hasn't gone into practice yet cause I not 100% sure about it
is:  that with heads paiting would be o.k. cause there are no green
minifigheads available.  Well LMKWYT

John