 Castle / 5528
Re: Am I the only one who likes Jar-Jar?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 16:09:26 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Mark Sandlin writes:
From: "Jon Furman" <rambocalrissian@yahoo.com>

I understand that 3-po wasn't always mugging for the camera, had a few • serious
lines, and wasn't blatantly pandering to the child audience, but 3-po was
walking comic relief throughout most of the entire trilogy.  Just as Jar-Jar
was.

I think you've pretty much nailed down why people who like Threepio don't
like Jar Jar.

1) Threepio didn't talk in that ridiculous voice. Prissy, yes, baby-talk,
no.

2) Threepio was at times a valuable asset to the adventure.

3) Threepio never stepped in poop.

Jar Jar had no real reason for being in the movie. It would have been quite
simple to rewrite the movie and leave him out completely.

~Mark

I think a simple explanation is:  Threepio didn't like "adventure" while
Jar-Jar was a "buffoon"  Everyone can respect someone who simply demonstrates
pacifism. (even though that was dangerous and naive at times, i.e. "surrender
is a perfectly acceptable alternative the Empire may be gracious enough t-")
Jar-Jar was basically an idiot whose bigest roll was accidentally destroying
half the droid army. Heck at least the teddy bears had a statagey other than
reveloutionary war style advance.  (you get hit with a big rock wearing a
helmet and see if it doesn't hurt, trust me it does,  also by the time the
imperals regrouped and started fighting as a unit (like they should) they had
already suffered too many causualties to be effective.  The arrows were merely
a distraction that allowed the rebels to free themselves.)

-Lord Insanity