 Castle / 5502
Re: Am I the only one who likes Jar-Jar? (and painting guide)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 20:52:42 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Chris Maddison writes:
Now, don't get me wrong, I think Jar-Jar was the worst thing about Ep. 1, but
I can't help but love the lego version.  I've got 12 Gungans, and I use em for
orcs and ogres.  Right now they're all tan, but I plan on making a few green,
grey, orange maybe, etc when I get around to learning how to paint and greatly
modify ABS (any pointers Craig?).  What I'm getting at is WHY does everyone
hate the lego Jar-Jar?  Granted, he only has (as of yet) 2 uses:  Jar-Jar, or
an orc.  Now, if you're not into the fantasy side of Castle, just the
historical acurateness, then I could understand why you dislike him, but what
other reason could you have?  Just wondering...
-Chris

I found Jar-Jar vaguely annoying, but my son thought he was hysterically funny.
If people want to discard Jar-Jars cheap, I suppose I can find a use for him
(though my pirates would still prefer Timmy to practice their fiendish tortures
on).

Painting ABS.  I recommend acrylic hobby paints - easier to work with, faster
drying time, less toxic fumes (always work in a well ventilated area, use a
hands free magnifying glass if you want to be able to read as you get older).
Soak the pieces to be painted in warm water and mild soap (liquid hand
dishwashing detergent).  This removes casting oil (so the piece comes free of
the mold) or finger oil (fingers are oily even if you just washed them).  Your
paint will stick better and flow on smoother.

Prime the figure with white paint unless you are just adding minor detail.  If
you are going to use metallics, further paint in black (for silvers) or dark
brown (for golds/bronzes).  Yes, still prime in white beforehand.  Trust me -
your figure WILL look 100% better if you do all this.  I can spot unprimed
figures or metallics over white a mile away.

Get a decent brush 0 and maybe a OOO for detail (the more zeroes the finer the
brush).  Actual size depends on the maker - they are not consistent between
manufacturers.  Sable watercolor brushes work well.  Really cheap brushes will
frustrate you, but you don't need Windsor-Newton Series 7.  Don't get the paint
in the ferule (the metal bit holding the hairs in place).  Always clean your
brushes.  Don't leave them such that the hairs are bent (permenant morning
hair).  Always repoint your brush (DON'T put it in your mouth - some paints are
quite toxic).

Half the trick to getting detail is controlling the thickness of the paint
(with acrylics, you thin with water).  Experiment on expendables first.

Bruce