Re: LDraw.org Config File (was: Edge line colors on img.lugnet.com)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 03:50:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, willy tschager wrote:

hmm ... I suppose this will become a some sort of standard color chart for a
handful of progs?

Not exactly, although kind of.  The idea is this might become several
things.  Not in any particular order:

- This can lead to a standard color-definition (meta-)statement for
LDraw.  Since LEGO seems to be releasing more and more colors, it seems
like a very good idea to give users the ability to use (and define) new
colors without downloading entirely new software.

- Users could change their color settings to meet their own needs.  Some
people might want to make custom colors for their own use.

- Other settings could potentially be stored in the configuration file.

- Individual programs could provide support for other configuration
files, via command-line parameters or menu options.

are we sure that the ldraw colors are the right ones (makein'
the devils advocate)?

No, we aren't sure.  These colors are basically what looks good (and
mostly accurate) to me, when rendering with a specific program with
specific settings.

But if we're distributing the color file in parts updates, it won't be
hard to publish corrections & additions to the color file.

looking around I found at least three different values for
almost every color. (I've taken the ldraw-colors from the website
http://www.ldraw.org/reference/specs/colors.shtml, not counting in the might
updated chart you've posted). please notice that richard morton (brickdog) has
measured them with a pantone spectrometer http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=9631.

I appreciate the effort brickdog put into that.  It is valuable
information, I looked at it when I was pulling the file together.  But
some of the color values seem wrong.  I'm not a color expert -- I might
be all wet (or have a whacked monitor--which actually seems likely).

I also suggest to harmonize the naming with other lego-related sites like peeron
or bricklink.

That's generally a good idea.  I'd be happier if all sources used
totally rational standards for color naming.  But I'm not sure a
'totally rational' standard would actually produce useful results.  What
used to be 'light gray' is now 'medium gray', unless we're going to have
a color name like 'even lighter gray'.

Steve