 CAD / 9972
Re: Edge line colors on img.lugnet.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2003 04:05:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Joel Hoornbeek wrote:

Are all of the color numbers on this page correct?

Yes, basically.  The LDraw color codes are generally assigned by finding
an existing, dithered, color that somewhat resembles the desired color.
For Partsref, I really wanted to get as close the actual LEGO colors as
possible.

The scripts that generate images for Partsref do some fairly specialized
processing.  LDLite is used to generate all the images.  Customized
color values are created with LDLite's COLOR meta-statement.  At the
time I was developing Partsref, LDLite would allow redefinition of
colors only for codes in the range 0-255.  So for the color codes above
256, the scripts actually use another color code in place of the
specified color.  I believe LDLite has been updated to correct this
limitation.

If you have any suggestions on how to get Sand Green to render correctly,
I'd like to hear them.

At this time, there isn't a standard way to handle newer colors across
all programs.  I believe LDLite, Ldglite, and L3P will all recognize
LDLite's COLOR metastatement; I'm sure MLCAD won't.  I'm not sure which
programs will recognize MLCAD's custom colors.  So your solution will
have to depend on which programs you want to use to render your models.

Steve