Re: LDraw.org Config File (was: Edge line colors on img.lugnet.com)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:13:27 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss wrote:
[XPFUT lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw]

In lugnet.cad, Andrew Westrate wrote:
I've been thinking about this a little bit, and I'd like to propose a
solution.  I think that with the next parts update, we should include
a "colors.lst" file.

A little more has happened on this:  I emailed the authors of most of the
LDraw-compatible software packages, and asked for buy-in on this idea.
Basically, my thought was that we needed to have agreement about the file name
and location, more than we needed to hash out the details about the contents.

Generally, the response was favorable, so I'm bringing discussion back here for
more ideas.

I developed the idea a little more, suggesting that we plan for a general
'configuration file' that might get used for other settings besides color
definitions.  I don't know what those 'other settings' might be right now, but
it seems reasonable to allow for the possibility.

My suggestion for the file name is ldconfig.ldr.  This seems to identify the
file adequately.  I happened to have a fairly extensive colors file lying
around.  I cleaned it up, and here it is.  I'm planning to put in this file in
the 2003-02 parts update, in the ldraw/ directory.

Notice that this file won't actually work fully in any software, AFAIK.  The
main problem is that it attempts to define color codes in the 'dithered color'
range, which LDLite doesn't support.  But as I said previously, the content can
be hashed out over time.  The important thing is to get a file out there into
the hands of people who can dissect it. :)

Comments?  Suggestions?  Criticisms?

Any reason it doesnt have "colour" in the name? It seems to only contain colour
definitions, or will this be extended in future for other things (possibly)?

Also, in keeping with the Australian flavour of LDraw parts, descriptions, etc,
maybe the line identifier should be "COLOUR" or "COLOURDEF"?

ROSCO