 CAD / 10066
Re: Edge line colors on img.lugnet.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 00:10:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:

At this time, there isn't a standard way to handle newer colors across
all programs.  I believe LDLite, Ldglite, and L3P will all recognize
LDLite's COLOR metastatement; I'm sure MLCAD won't.  I'm not sure which
programs will recognize MLCAD's custom colors.  So your solution will
have to depend on which programs you want to use to render your models.

Steve

I've been thinking about this a little bit, and I'd like to propose a solution.
I think that with the next parts update, we should include a "colors.lst"
file.  The format could either be a modified version of the ldlite color
command [1] or a more detailed format, such as an xml doc, as was mentioned in
this thread: http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=9830. [2]

Obviously no program would support this yet, but at least by including the file
in the standard parts package, there would be a common list for users to
consult.  And in future software versions, the file would be used instead of
colors being hard-coded.  If someone didn't like the name for a color, or
thought that it was off by a shade, they could edit the file themselves.  And
it would be easy to add new colors as they are created.

Andy

[1. I say a modified version, because I don't like including a second color for
dithering.  IMO, the whole point of specifing the color would be to escape the
need for using dithered colors.  I think that the simplest format would be:

[<red2> <green2> <blue2> [optional-alpha2]]

So an example (incomplete) colors list might be:
0 COLOR   0 Black 51 51 51
0 COLOR   1 Blue 0 51 178
0 COLOR   2 Green 0 127 51
0 COLOR   3 Dark-cyan
0 COLOR   4 Red 204 0 0
0 COLOR   5 Magenta 255 51 153
0 COLOR   6 Brown 102 51 0
0 COLOR   7 Gray 153 153 153
0 COLOR   8 Dark-Grey 102 102 88
0 COLOR   9 Light blue 0 128 255
0 COLOR  10 Light-green 51 255 102
0 COLOR  11 Cyan
0 COLOR  12 Light-red 255 201 196
0 COLOR  13 Pink 255 176 204
0 COLOR  14 Yellow 255 229 0
0 COLOR  15 White 255 255 255
0 COLOR  17 Pastel-green 102 240 153
0 18 Light Yellow
0 19 Tan
0 COLOR  20 Light-purple 224 204 240
0 COLOR  21 Glow-in-the-dark 224 255 176
0 COLOR  22 Purple 153 51 153
0 COLOR  23 Purple-blue 76 0 204
0 25 Orange (see 462)
0 26 Dark Pink
0 COLOR  27 Light-yellowish-green 229 255 168
0 COLOR  28 Flesh 250 163 157
0 COLOR  32 Trans-black 102 102 102 230
0 COLOR  33 Trans-dark-blue 0 0 153 230
0 COLOR  34 Trans-green 0 80 24 230
0 35 Trans-Dark-Cyan
0 COLOR  36 Trans-red 204 0 0 230
0 37 Trans-Magenta
0 38 Trans-Brown
0 39 Trans-Gray
0 40 Trans-Dark-Gray
0 COLOR  41 Trans-light-blue 153 192 240 243
0 COLOR  42 Trans-green-yellow  204 255 0 230
0 43 Trans-cyan
0 44 Trans-light-red
0 45 Trans-pink
0 COLOR  46 Trans-yellow 240 196 0 230
0 COLOR  47 Trans-white 255 255 255 230
0 57 Trans-orange 255 102 0 205
0 COLOR 256 Black-Rubber
0 COLOR 320 Dark-Red
0 COLOR 334 Gold 240 176 51
0 COLOR 335 Sand-red 212 163 157
0 COLOR 373 Sand-violet 175 150 180
0 COLOR 378 Sand-green 159 204 180
0 COLOR 379 Sand-blue 159 178 191
0 COLOR 382 Tan 204 170 102
0 COLOR 383 Chrome-Silver 204 204 204
0 COLOR 418 Bright-Green 0 191 89
0 COLOR 431 Belville-Mint-green
0 COLOR 462 Orange
0 COLOR 494 Electrical-Contact-yellow 204 204 204
0 COLOR 495 Belville-Light-yellow 255 255 128
0 COLOR 503 Light-gray 230 227 218
0 Lime-green 173 221 80

]

[2. Personally, I think XML is the better way to go, because it would provide
more options for different materials, edge colors, and so on.  But it would be
harder to agree on the actual format.]