 CAD / 10082
10081  |  10083
Subject:
Color Definition File (was: Re: Edge line colors on img.lugnet.com)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 00:43:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Andrew Westrate wrote:

I think that with the next parts update, we should include a "colors.lst"
file.

That's a great idea!  I've got an ldliterc.dat I could easily add to the
update.  I think you're on the right track, using a more generic name.
How about colors.ldr?

The format could either be a modified version of the ldlite color
command [1] or a more detailed format, such as an xml doc, as was mentioned in
this thread: http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=9830. [2]

Or the format could be the current LDLite COLOR command, since it's
already out there, and supported by a number of programs.

Obviously no program would support this yet, but at least by including the file
in the standard parts package, there would be a common list for users to
consult.  And in future software versions, the file would be used instead of
colors being hard-coded.  If someone didn't like the name for a color, or
thought that it was off by a shade, they could edit the file themselves.  And
it would be easy to add new colors as they are created.

Exactly.

[1. I say a modified version, because I don't like including a second color for
dithering.  IMO, the whole point of specifing the color would be to escape the
need for using dithered colors.

I agree that dithering probably isn't that important, but it's not
exactly a challenge to continue allowing it.  Maybe someone likes the
subtle texture it provides?

[2. Personally, I think XML is the better way to go, because it would provide
more options for different materials, edge colors, and so on.  But it would be
harder to agree on the actual format.]

I'd rather stick with an LDraw-compatible format, for two reasons:

1. It can be treated as a simple include file when rendering models
2. It's simpler to parse without the use of an add-on library.

Steve