Re: Sounds good, however... (from an LDRAW neophyte)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 00:02:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Geoff Gray writes:
I think the idea of a formal organization is really good, provided that it
does server it's constituants.  I think this is a good start and I encourage
you to continue.

Serve or sever?  I think that was a typo up there :)

I honestly don't think a formal org will do either.  It will be a way to
bring together LCAD people in a more organized/official capacity, and the
people involved in the government of the org will be voluntarily working to
serve the LCAD community (not the other way around).

I agree on the problem of installing/getting all of the necessary tools
running.  I was just getting ready to offer to make a central installer that
could set up all of this stuff.  In the Windows world, this could be a very
easy task to accomplish, by using either a canned setup program (such as the
Microsoft Windows Installer) or by using scripts to run through WSH (Windows
Scripting Host).  The scripts have the added advantage of being quickly
modified and they can be filled with comments to outline and explain what is
going on behind the scenes.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I support the effort, and if needed I
will be glad to offer my services on creating an installer.

We have discussed a central installer for quite some time - and it is useful
on several projects.  One program to download from the website which will
walk a user through the setup much like an installation wizard would be
GREAT!  It would be great if that program could give the options of
downloading other utilities like MLCad, L3Lab, LDView, L3P etc etc... as well.

Something like this would need to eventually end up multi-platform.  Because
of the heavy shift towards the Windows end of the spectrum for utilities,
its fine to lean that way _at first_ but as time goes on, the utility needs
to be available on other OSes (Mac, Linux, ?).

Please email Steve Bliss (steve@ldraw.org) and myself to discuss an
installer - we'd like to hear your ideas and it would be great if you could
help!

Tim Courtney - tim@ldraw.org