Subject:
LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.announce
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 16:18:11 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

There's been occasional discussion about formalizing the LEGO-style CAD fan
organization.  Although an informal organization usually serves us pretty
well, there are some things an informal group can not do, such as deal well
with keeping a treasury, or establishing license agreements.  Also, an
informal organization sometimes has a hard time establishing and reaching
goals, because no one has the responsibility to reach those goals.
Finally, a formal organization can receive a certain level of respect and
recognition from other groups and organizations.

In the last month or so, some of us have had more in-depth, offline
discussions about forming a 'real' LCAD/LDraw group, and what would be the
best approach to reach that goal.

What needs to happen is a small group -- an organizational committee --
needs to accept the charge of getting the LEGO CAD fan group through the
organizational process.  "Getting through the process" means the committee
would gather input from the members, research standard (and non-standard)
methods of organization, write a charter (or adapt/adopt an existing
standard group charter), and finally run a ratification process (probably
by voting) to accept the charter and bylaws.

To start this process, an adhoc committee has tentatively formed,
consisting of the adminstrators of the ldraw.org website and parts library.
That's these people:

Tim Courtney
Jacob Sparre Andersen
Terry Keller
Steve Bliss

Additionally, we've also asked Larry Pieniazek to 'sit in' on the
committee's communication, to lend us his expertise in volunteer/fan
organizations and general knowledge of group functioning.

Between the 4+1 members, we feel we have a fair representation of the LCAD
community--developers, authors, evangelists, and users.

We've also established the following short-term goals.  Each of these goals
is very important for the group, and needs to be handled as soon as
possible.

1. Spearhead the establishment of a formal LEGO CAD fan group.
2. Implement a process to formally register members of the group.
3. Finalize licensing agreement(s) for the LDraw parts library.
4. Implement a permanent parts-submission process.

There has been some discussion about what type of organizational
'government' would work best for our group.  Since we don't often get
everyone together for meetings, it would probably be best to follow a
representative style -- the group elects officers to handle group business.
Except for large questions of group direction, the officers handle
descisions.  Large decisions would be handled by group decision/voting.  If
the officers don't do a good job, the group would have to choose to evict
the officer(s), and replace them.

That's about all the ground we've covered so far.  There is a lot more to
be done, but right now, we need to hear what you think about this.  All
comments are welcome, but especially answer this question:

Do you agree with the selection of the ad hoc committee, and the short-term
goals for the ad hoc committee?

--
Tim Courtney
Jacob Sparre Andersen