Re: LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 17:51:52 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Farlie A wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Bliss writes:

"Getting through the process" means the committee
would gather input from the members, research standard (and non-standard)
methods of organization, write a charter (or adapt/adopt an existing
standard group charter), and finally run a ratification process (probably
by voting) to accept the charter and bylaws.

What model where you thinking of using?

We haven't gotten that specific, yet.  We're thinking along the lines of a
'town council' approach, where the elected officers are equal peers (as
opposed to having offices of president, vice president, etc).  As I
mentioned before, we're leaning toward a republic/representative org,
rather than direct democracy -- there's not large-scale dissention in the
l-cad community, just arguing over detials.  We need some people who have
the granted authority to make decisions and act on them.

To start this process, an adhoc committee has tentatively formed,
consisting of the adminstrators of the ldraw.org website and parts library.
That's these people:

Tim Courtney
Jacob Sparre Andersen
Terry Keller
Steve Bliss

Not Todd ?

This isn't a LUGNET initiative, and Todd has not been highly involved in
l-cad activity in the past.  This isn't a LUGNET initiative, it's an action
to form a new organization for the l-cad community.

Yes! However 2 additonal aims should be :

The publication, and subsquent mantianence of a standards document detaling
the LCAD standard so that suitable LCAD software can be written or mantained
for currently supported (or in the future additonal) computing platforms.

I'm not *exactly* following you on this.  Do you mean detailed specs on the
LDraw graphics description language, or something else/more?

I would see the publication of a standards document as falling within the
scope of the ad hoc committee, as it is in the nature of clearing defining
the current environment.  But I don't see it as a high-priority activity;
we've got the basics covered in the LDraw FAQ (especially question #20).

The establishment of working groups to look into extensions to the current
de-facto LCAD standard. Such as texture mapping or curves. This group would
make represntations to the committe that would be considered in standards
revison.

I agree that this should definitely be a high priority for the permanent
organization.  However, I don't think it is something that should be
addressed by the ad hoc committee, because it goes into new development,
rather than consolidation/definition of the current environment.

Steve