  LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization

There's been occasional discussion about formalizing the LEGO-style CAD fan organization. Although an informal organization usually serves us pretty well, there are some things an informal group can not do, such as deal well with keeping a treasury, (...) (23 years ago, 2-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.announce) !!

  Re: LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization

(...) Yes! -Chuck (23 years ago, 2-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Sounds good, however... (from an LDRAW neophyte)

FORWARD: Please accept my comments in the civil spirit in which they were intended, and not an attempt to start some sort of conflict. I asked some very tough questions because the proposal seemed to advocate it. This is also a somewhat long (...) (23 years ago, 3-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Sounds good, however... (from an LDRAW neophyte)

(...) OK. Actually, there has been a good bit of discussion around these topics. But it would be a good idea to address them again. I'm going to snip/quote your message pretty heavily (and respond to things out of order). Y'all can assume that (...) (23 years ago, 3-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Sounds good, however... (from an LDRAW neophyte)

Hi Pat - I will attempt to expound upon our ideas and answer your questions below. (revisit.... Steve beat me! Well, I'll take out what I feel Steve addressed well enough and add comments where I want to be a blabbermouth) ;-) "Pat Hough" (...) (23 years ago, 3-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Sounds good, however... (from an LDRAW neophyte)

Tim and Steve answered a lot, I will try to fill in a few additional items and additional perspective. (...) While this is a laudable goal, it is not the first goal of the group. The first goal of the group is to solve some specific problems around (...) (23 years ago, 3-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Sounds good, however... (from an LDRAW neophyte)

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 02:26:05AM +0000, Pat Hough wrote: First, I'd like to thank those who will be forming this group. The licenses are of course my biggest personal issue. So, thanks and good luck :) [snip] (...) Well, I am packaging leocad for (...) (23 years ago, 3-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Excellent Discussion, Well Met

When I wrote the original reply to the proposal last Friday, I knew what I was letting myself in for and braced very hard this morning for the onslaught of Pandora's Box. However, after reading every followup in the thread, I must say that I am (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Excellent Discussion, Well Met

(...) I have no official standing to delegate anything but if someone doesn't jump up and latch on to you I will be very surprised, as there are a number of areas within the site and elsewhere, where either word smithing, or worse, out and out (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:G8ALC8.CMF@lugnet.com... (...) Well put Lar. Pat - since you are experienced in technical writing, how would you like to help the site in the area of Reference and Get Started? We (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization

Do whatever you want, but please return to creating new parts. Except for a couple of decorated elements there wasn't much new worth mentioning in the past weeks. Thanks to all who spend time for creating DAT-parts, making my "work" possible. Primus (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization

"Burkhard Schloemer" <BuS1503@muenster.de> wrote in message news:G8B1DI.DBo@lugnet.com... (...) possible. Hi Burkhard - There will always be parts authors and official additions as long as there is a desire to create new parts. We're just laying (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Let's Do It

(...) Much appreciated -- it pays bills better than majoring in history would have. (...) I'm ready -- just tell me where to go to get started and a list of specific essays, opening paragraphs, descriptions you want. Since I am not an HTML expert I (...) (23 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization

(...) Plus the fact an informal group would have difficulty enforcing such a licence agrement... Even the FSF (ie GNU's managment group) is an 'organisation'. (...) Yes. Agree (...) What model where you thinking of using? (...) Not Todd ? (...) (...) (23 years ago, 6-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization

(...) We haven't gotten that specific, yet. We're thinking along the lines of a 'town council' approach, where the elected officers are equal peers (as opposed to having offices of president, vice president, etc). As I mentioned before, we're (...) (23 years ago, 6-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Sounds good, however... (from an LDRAW neophyte)

I think the idea of a formal organization is really good, provided that it does server it's constituants. I think this is a good start and I encourage you to continue. I agree on the problem of installing/getting all of the necessary tools running. (...) (23 years ago, 6-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Sounds good, however... (from an LDRAW neophyte)

(...) Serve or sever? I think that was a typo up there :) I honestly don't think a formal org will do either. It will be a way to bring together LCAD people in a more organized/official capacity, and the people involved in the government of the org (...) (23 years ago, 7-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Sounds good, however... (from an LDRAW neophyte)

(...) I think that an installer program would be better, I for one dont like windows scripting host/vbscript, mostly because it has more security holes than a piece of swiss cheese :) (23 years ago, 7-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization

(...) Echoing and amplifying a bit on Tim's response: Forming an official ldraw.org, and adopting a licensing policy, and establishing a fully automatic Parts Tracker will all directly lead to more parts being authored. Heck, I'd be doing more parts (...) (23 years ago, 7-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization

(...) OK but you would need at least a chairman or tresuarer... Also .. "Politics is often about the 'details' " ;-) Quote from a UK MP but cant remember which one.. (...) OK Point taken- Looking at your list it seems you have more of a software (...) (23 years ago, 7-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  LCAD for Risc-OS (was LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization)

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Alex Farlie writes: [snip - lots of stuff] (...) Ldglite is distributed as C source code and requires either OpenGL or Mesa. There is information on Mesa for Risc-OS here: (URL) should be similar to the "ldglite for (...) (23 years ago, 7-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)