 CAD / Development / 11004
Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 2009 23:13:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Scott Wardlaw wrote:
Most of you know my opinion on this one - use BrickLink names.

Our community is dispursed enough.  We need to work to unify what we can.

BrickLink names are the most widely used amongst the community.

See, right there I couldn't agree with you less.  I spend a lot more time
producing a design in LDraw than I do plugging the parts list into Bricklink,
and when I'm doing so I generally have to stick to part numbers rather than
descriptions because I can never remember the Bricklink names.  LUGNET's part
guide  and Peeron's inventory system follow the LDraw names where they're
available, so right there you also have three resources that are in agreement
through the entirety of their databases whenecver at least two resources list
the same part.  It always struck me as odd and possibly somewhat exclusionary
that Bricklink often uses different names and part numbers (sometimes even when
both conventions appear to be using an official part number they aren't the same
number), especially given that Bricklink does not link back to any other
resource (on Peeron, for instance, you can find a link to download any approved
LDraw files for that specific part).

Good thing you don't have to agree for the statement to still be true.  Ldraw
has just over 3 thousand members.  BrickLink has nearly 110 thousand.

Peeron is great for the one resource that it is most used for - historical
instructions on LEGO sets.  However, Peeron is not at all a good resource for
current information on parts.  Since they don't sell parts, they are very much
not likely to be the first to list a new type of part, nor are they likely to
describe the part correctly since part descriptions don't necessarily come from
someone who owns the part.  Only BL can do these things with speed and accuracy;
as its primary purpose is to deal in real bricks.

Unless TLG starts giving exclussive info to Peeron or hands the latest parts to
an LDraw part author before going on sale, both Peeron and LDraw will always lag
behind BrickLink.

Just how out-of-date and inaccurate is the Peeron database?  They were three
months late with the double cheese wedge, it still shows the temporary part
number, and (as with the single cheese wedge) they still show the wrong part
desciption of 33 degrees of slope: http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x1972

As for the LUGNET database; it is simply LDraw in HTML format, so you're right,
it does follow the LDraw names.

Scott