 CAD / Development / 10999
Subject:
Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:29:12 GMT

With almost all the "Technic Axle Joiner" parts on the Parts Tracker, I'd like
to take the opportunity to rationalise the part descriptions which have
developed over time as these parts have appeared. Currently we have:

6536.dat      Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular
32184.dat     Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular  3L
32068.dat     Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular 3 Long
32291.dat     Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular Double
41678.dat     Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular Double Split
42003.dat     Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular with 2 Holes
32557.dat     Technic Pin Joiner Dual Perpendicular

I'd like to seek the opinion of the community. I am seeking ideas and
suggestions, but not hoping for concensus, so I will make the final decision
based on what I read here.

Doing nothing is not an option as we need to discriminate between 32184 and
32068, which have essentially the same description.

Technica (http://isodomos.com/technica/registry/connect/conn_7.php) calls these
all "Cross Blocks", but is still imperfect in that it fails to describe that
32557 is a Pin to Pin connector.

Peeron follows LDraw.

Bricklink uses:
6536    Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular
32184   Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular 3L with Center Hole
32068   Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular 3 Long
32291   Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular Double
41678   Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular Double Split
42003   Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular with 2 Holes
32557   Technic, Pin Connector Perpendicular Long

As an opening bid, I'm suggesting adding dimensions and the sequence of axle
holes / pin holes:
6536.dat      Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular 1 x 2 (Axle/Pin)
32184.dat     Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular 1 x 3 (Axle/Pin/Axle)
32068.dat     Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular 1 x 3 (Axle/Pin)
32291.dat     Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular 2 x 2 (Axle/Twin Pin)
41678.dat     Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular 2 x 2 Split (Axle/Twin Pin)
42003.dat     Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular 1 x 3 (Axle/Pin/Pin)
32557.dat     Technic Pin Joiner Perpendicular 2 x 3 (Pin/Pin/Twin Pin)

Comments please.

Chris Dee (LDraw Parts Library Admin)

Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions
As an opening bid, I'm suggesting adding dimensions and the sequence of axle
holes / pin holes:
6536.dat      Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular 1 x 2 (Axle/Pin)
32184.dat     Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular 1 x 3 (Axle/Pin/Axle)
32068.dat     Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular 1 x 3 (Axle/Pin)
32291.dat     Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular 2 x 2 (Axle/Twin Pin)
41678.dat     Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular 2 x 2 Split (Axle/Twin Pin)
42003.dat     Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular 1 x 3 (Axle/Pin/Pin)
32557.dat     Technic Pin Joiner Perpendicular 2 x 3 (Pin/Pin/Twin Pin)

I agree it is time to rationalize naming of this similar parts... I would go one
step further and name all of them "Technic Joiner Perpendicular xxxx" since hole
type sequence is described in the end of name, and a
6536.dat      Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular 1 x 2 (Axle/Pin)
could be considered as a
6536.dat      Technic Pin Joiner Perpendicular 1 x 2 (Pin/Axle)

What about naming for 44809 and the new 63869?

Speaking of rationalization, I would be very happy if we could find a coherent
naming scheme for parts 3651, 32039, 6553 (and 32013?) - I can't possibly
remember 6553 name...

Philo

Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions