 CAD / Development / 10999
  Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions

With almost all the "Technic Axle Joiner" parts on the Parts Tracker, I'd like to take the opportunity to rationalise the part descriptions which have developed over time as these parts have appeared. Currently we have: 6536.dat Technic Axle Joiner (...) (15 years ago, 22-Jul-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions

(...) I agree it is time to rationalize naming of this similar parts... I would go one step further and name all of them "Technic Joiner Perpendicular xxxx" since hole type sequence is described in the end of name, and a 6536.dat Technic Axle Joiner (...) (15 years ago, 23-Jul-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions

Most of you know my opinion on this one - use BrickLink names. Our community is dispursed enough. We need to work to unify what we can. BrickLink names are the most widely used amongst the community. After all, how many people convert their LDraw (...) (15 years ago, 24-Jul-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions

(...) See, right there I couldn't agree with you less. I spend a lot more time producing a design in LDraw than I do plugging the parts list into Bricklink, and when I'm doing so I generally have to stick to part numbers rather than descriptions (...) (15 years ago, 27-Jul-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions

(...) None of those parts should really be referred to as "axle joiners" or "pin joiners". The only parts that should have those names are the ones that join them end-to-end. These parts are all what a hardware store would recognize as a saddle (...) (15 years ago, 27-Jul-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions

(...) Good thing you don't have to agree for the statement to still be true. Ldraw has just over 3 thousand members. BrickLink has nearly 110 thousand. Peeron is great for the one resource that it is most used for - historical instructions on LEGO (...) (15 years ago, 27-Jul-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions

(...) Not to point fingers or start a flame war but as I recall everytime anyone has suggested that Bricklink change to conform to some other standard, it has been rebuffed by the BL admins. This lack of willingness to compromise has, at least in (...) (15 years ago, 27-Jul-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions

(...) So then, we shall say the same? Both us and BL have long-lived and complicated systems. I never really expected you or DATHeader to instantly change your way of life, but I believe that it is time to consider subtle changes to help bring our (...) (15 years ago, 28-Jul-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions

(...) Good thing number of Ldraw members has nothing to do with number of Ldraw users :) While I agree it would be nice if the two sources matched, unfortunately they serve totally different purposes, and that is unlikely to ever happen. BL has (...) (15 years ago, 28-Jul-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions

(...) The LEGO database lists the following names: 6536 CROSS BLOCK 90° 32184 DOUBLE CROSS BLOCK 32068 TECHNIC STEERING-GEAR 3M 32291 TECHNIC CROSS BLOCK 2X4,85 41678 TECHNIC CROSS BLOCK/FORK 2X2 42003 CROSS BLOCK 3M 32557 TECHNIC CROSSBLOCK 2X3 I (...) (15 years ago, 28-Jul-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions

(...) I agree with Philo, would remove the Axle/Pin qualifier in front and go for example with "Technic Joiner Perpendicular 1 x 2 (Axle/Pin)" w. (15 years ago, 28-Jul-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions

(...) "cheese wedge". It won't come up as "slope grille" either, while Peeron produces seven different parts that merely include those words at various points in their descriptions. Sorry, but their search engine verges on being an excellent cure (...) (15 years ago, 28-Jul-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions

(...) I'd be for dimensions but not the hole sequence.. the hole sequence goes into redundancies IMHO. So for example I'd like 6536.dat to be "Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular 1 x 2". (15 years ago, 28-Jul-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions

(...) LEGO database? To those who work for them, their part description may not be as optional as ours. However, that doesn't mean that we should make emotional choices. I worship TLG as much as the next AFOL, but we already know they don't put (...) (15 years ago, 28-Jul-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions

(...) Alright, that's cool...but how exactly would you suggest making the distinction between the three different 1x3 saddle joints? Perhaps like this: (...) And then you just need to assume that everyone knows exactly which order in which these (...) (15 years ago, 28-Jul-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions

(...) Thank you for all the comments on this (including those that veered off-topic). I like the "Cross Block" designation, especially as this is a common theme in the LEGO descriptions. It has the added benefit that it is shorter than "Joiner (...) (15 years ago, 3-Sep-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Technic Axle Joiner / Cross Block descriptions

(...) Correction: 44489.dat should be 44809.dat Technic Cross Block 2 x 2 Bent 90 (Pin/Pin/Pin) Chris (15 years ago, 4-Sep-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)