 CAD / Development / 1091
1090  |  1092
Subject:
A tiresome tirade (Was: garbage output)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 05:27:28 GMT

All,

Events in the past few months has led up to the point where several typically
cool-headed individuals have blown their tops.  All this anger and frustration
is aimed at one individual in particular, and is counter-productive.

Recent lambasting of Mr. Johnathan Wilson has proven to be no good, and I am
convinced that further beratement would only lead to an increased level of
frustration and anxiety.  These kind of tensions can only hinder progress on
the LDraw project.  My participation in this collective anger has caused me to
delve into some serious soul-searching.

Consider:  The debate is over a computer tool for a children's toy.  True,
Legos can become quite a powerful medium of expression in the right hands, and
it's doubtful that a real child would seriously use LDraw, but the basic
premise remains.  This is about having fun.

Doesn't the word Lego derive from "play well"?  Isn't this advice that we all
need to heed, this author included?  I'm not saying that excellence should be
sacrificed to appease a select few.  But we pollute the project to continue
James' work by continuing in these personal attacks.

There are better ways of handling the situation.  If the noise level is a
problem, then remove the source of the noise until it subsides.  If Mr.
Wilson's working patterns are a problem, then we need to either reject his
work with a simple "no", or help to improve his work, or both.  But the way we
have reacted indicates that Mr. Wilson has some control over our actions.
This is not the case.  We need to find a solution, and fast, before this forum
turns into a needless flame war.  We don't all need to be friends, but we can
sure be a hell of a lot more friendly.

There is little more I can say on the matter.  I am not a parts author, nor do
I aspire to become one, so I cannot help much.  I am ashamed of the spiteful
feelings which I felt that I had to express.  Therefore, the best action I can
take on the matter is to ignore Mr. Wilson.  I will endeavor to do this, and I
implore you to do the same.

Cheers,
- jsproat