 CAD / Development / 1021
Re: baseplate 32 x 32 road curve with road pattern-9 studs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 04:05:40 GMT

jonathan wilson <wilsonj@xoommail.com> wrote:
i know that the torus generator generated part looks kind of shit but i know
nothing about circular maths (trig?). steve tells me that the helipad and road

First of all, it's been 12 years since I last did any higher level
math, my junior year in high school when I did trig.  So I don't think
there's any shame in not knowing (or remembering) anything about it.

Then again, I don't think that ignorance of lack of understanding of
this sort of thing means your parts that are so painfully bad ought to
be given a pass.  If you don't have the skillset required to perform
this task, fine - neither do I.

i say we see what the ldraw community at large thinks about the part. if they
are happy with the use of the torus generator then that is ok.
if they vote it down then that will prove that the torus generator should not
be used for large curves.

See what the ldraw community thinks?  I think what several people have
tried to say to you in various levels of politeness is that this part
in particular sucks.  There is NO need to vote on it - the idea that
you think it should even be put up for a vote is ridiculous.

I'll be honest here - I don't participate in the voting for parts,
although I do mirror them on one of my websites.  I don't vote because
I just don't have an eye for catching the tiny mistakes that Steve,
Terry, and the rest seem to catch right off.  But I don't need any
special attention to detail to see what's wrong with this baseplate.
It reaches out and slaps you in the face, screaming, "Gee, I look like
crap, don't I?"  Sorry, but it does.

Now do I have any meaningful helpful suggestions for you in your
efforts as a parts author?  Nope, sure don't.  I know others have,
though.

I can echo what others have said, though, about your obvious lack of
understanding of the standards to which the group here tries to hold
itself.  In simple terms, it would seem that if the minimum quality
that most want to have in a part that gets a yes vote is 10, you seem
to be willing to push through parts that rate about a 1, if not less.

Sorry if that comes across as harsh, but you don't seem to be clueing
into the more subtle suggestions and comments people have made.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide