 CAD / Development / 1024
Re: baseplate 32 x 32 road curve with road pattern-9 studs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 06:34:31 GMT

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999 08:25:45 GMT, "jonathan wilson" <wilsonj@xoommail.com>
wrote:

i know that the torus generator generated part looks kind of shit but i know
nothing about circular maths (trig?). steve tells me that the helipad and road
curve 7 studs have both been made with the generator... have you seen those yet
tery? do they suffer the same problems?

"Kind of" is a gross understatement.
If the parts Steve sent me were done using the torus generator, then he did a
*LOT* of very careful post-processing.  Steve would _NEVER_ send me a part that
looked like the baseplate you posted in cad.dat.

here is what i will do:
i will make the 8-stud unpatterened road plates completly in color #16. i will
also make the patterned 8-stud straight, t-junction and cross. i will use the
torus generator to generate the small curves on the corners. i will hardcode
the road surface itself as well as the area just outside the green lines where
there are no studs in color #7
i will make the area under the studs color #17. this will allow people to use
them in green. i will submit all these parts.
i will submit the curve as posted to cad.dat with the extra studs removed
unless i can figure out a bettre way to do it.
i say we see what the ldraw community at large thinks about the part. if they
are happy with the use of the torus generator then that is ok.
if they vote it down then that will prove that the torus generator should not
be used for large curves.

I have said it before, and I guess I need to say it again - I WILL NOT add
parts to the vote that look like crap.  It is a waste of my time.

If you cannot figure out what the word "quality" means, then stop making parts.

no-one has ldrawn any part that requires large curves yet so i have nothing to
go on except steves parts, made with his torus generator.
i have not seen those so i do not know what the quality is like...

The quality is excellent.  Like other parts Steve has done.  The curves are
smooth and solid, well rendered at different resolutions and angles.  Like
parts should be.   And if I _do_ have a nitpick about something, Steve promptly
corrects the problem.

You made the positive step of asking for feedback and opinions on parts you
make.  But then, instead of _fixing_ the parts, you simply dismiss the
criticism by saying you don't know how to do something, or blame the errors on
the tools used to make it.

As Onyx, said it "isn't about quantity, it's all about *quality*".
No one is impressed by the deluge of crappy parts.   And, judging from the
constant postings asking for part numbers, I assume you have many more to come.
I hope you will slow down and reassess your actions.

-- Terry K --