 CAD / Development / 10250
Re: Question for the LSC. Blanks in file names legal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2005 22:24:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
Is it legal to have blanks in file names in type 1 records?

I looked at

http://www.ldraw.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=45

and it does not specify.  I'd guess that LDRAW.EXE cannot handle them.

What is the LSC's position on this issue.

(Note FUT lugnet.cad.dev)

I realize that spaces are officially a no-no, but since I've also seen files
that contain references to sub-models with spaces in the filenames, I'm adding
support for this to the next LDView release.  It will generate a warning, but it
will load the file (as long as there aren't any trailing or leading spaces in
the filename; I won't be supporting that).

I understand why it's not officially supported by the spec, but the reason I'm
adding support for it is because it's not really fair to users to not allow
spaces in their filenames.  I don't think it should be necessary for users to
know anything about the internals of the file format that their files are
created with.  And the fact is that it's pretty easy to support spaces in
filenames.

The only reason I'm not supporting leading or trailing whitespace is that I
suspect this will cause some existing files to fail to load, since it was never
a problem before to have multiple spaces before the filename, or trailing
whitespace after the filename.

--Travis Cobbs