 CAD / 12556
Re: Question for the LSC. Blanks in file names legal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:16:14 GMT

How about this for a File Naming section to be added to the file spec?

(the following text is formatted for FTX display; it will be reformatted for HTML display when it is added to the LDraw.org File Format document)

File Names in LDraw

The LDraw language was originally developed for use with DOS 8.3 file names. This is generally the most restrictive file naming standard, so continuing to follow it will result in the greatest portability across computer platforms. However, most LDraw tools allow greater flexibility in naming model files.

In general, the following restrictions apply to LDraw files:
  • No space characters allowed in file names. This restriction is required for any file that will be referenced by another LDraw file. The LDraw language does not support space characters embedded in file names.
  • No space characters in directory names. This varies between tools, but is generally a good rule to follow.
  • File names should be considered case-insensitive.
  • Backslash (\) is used as the delimiter in path names.
  • Long file names are generally allowed.
  • Files in the LDraw.org Modeling Library must follow the DOS 8.3 naming standard, along with a number of other restrictions. See the FAQ for Part Numbers, in the PT Reference pages.
  • Standard model files should use the LDR extension. LDR is for LDraw file.
  • Files in the LDraw.org Modeling Library use DAT extension. DAT is a generic file extension (standing for Data), and is been used for LDraw files since the beginning of LDraw-history.
  • Compound files use an extension of MPD, for Multi-Part DAT. See the MPD Language Extension.