 CAD / 12551
  Question for the LSC. Blanks in file names legal?

Is it legal to have blanks in file names in type 1 records? I looked at (URL) it does not specify. I'd guess that LDRAW.EXE cannot handle them. What is the LSC's position on this issue. Kevin (19 years ago, 5-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Question for the LSC. Blanks in file names legal?

(...) As a followup question, at first read/reread, the document is a bit confusing. The term "line" is overloaded. In one case line means, text as it would be viewed on a terminal, and in the other it is a graphical representation of what (...) (19 years ago, 5-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Question for the LSC. Blanks in file names legal?

(...) No. LDraw commands are space-delimited, so a filename containing blanks would result in a 'Part' command with invalid formatting/syntax. That is, it would have too many parameters. (...) Hmm. It should be more explicit on this point. It should (...) (19 years ago, 5-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Question for the LSC. Blanks in file names legal?

(...) <snip> (...) Thanks Steve! (...) Kevin (19 years ago, 5-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Question for the LSC. Blanks in file names legal?

(...) It's not just you. Is the new version of the spec better? It still carries the overloaded definition, but it doesn't rely on it as heavily. The new version of the spec is at: (URL) Can we choose a different word for the textual representation (...) (19 years ago, 5-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Question for the LSC. Blanks in file names legal?

How about this for a File Naming section to be added to the file spec? (the following text is formatted for FTX display; it will be reformatted for HTML display when it is added to the LDraw.org File Format document) File Names in LDraw The LDraw (...) (19 years ago, 5-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Question for the LSC. Blanks in file names legal?

(...) I like it Steve. Thanks much. I've gotten problem reports over the last week or so that brought this to light for me. MLCad allows blanks in file names, and LPub percieves them as separate tokens in a type 1 text line, and ignores the extra (...) (19 years ago, 5-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Question for the LSC. Blanks in file names legal?

(...) See below. I've rearranged the order of the bullets to fit my comments. (...) Change to no whitespace characters, this way we exclude tabs, etc. (...) How about: Long file names are allowed. File names may be restricted to 8.3 format at the (...) (19 years ago, 5-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Question for the LSC. Blanks in file names legal?

(...) I know. It didn't do much for me either. (...) See above. (...) Kevin (19 years ago, 5-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Question for the LSC. Blanks in file names legal?

(...) You might want to take a look at 2593.dat (including the author ;-). (In your defense, that's a really old file.) Having said that, most places in the parts library, backslash (\) is used as the delimiter in path names. However, there are some (...) (19 years ago, 6-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Question for the LSC. Blanks in file names legal?

(...) Yah, I think that was the first official part with sub-part files. (...) I'd lean toward updating the files with 's/' references to 's\'. The PT is definitely coded toward using only backslashes. Steve (19 years ago, 6-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Question for the LSC. Blanks in file names legal?

In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote: <snip> (...) Is there anything that I can do to help get this ratified? (...) Kevin (19 years ago, 8-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Question for the LSC. Blanks in file names legal?

(...) (Note FUT lugnet.cad.dev) I realize that spaces are officially a no-no, but since I've also seen files that contain references to sub-models with spaces in the filenames, I'm adding support for this to the next LDView release. It will generate (...) (19 years ago, 15-May-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Question for the LSC. Blanks in file names legal?

(...) Travis, I have done the same in LPub. Easier to implement it than explain it every time someone gets burned. Kevin (...) (19 years ago, 16-May-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)