 CAD / 15556
Re: Foundry Technology Preview Tool (was Re: BFC Tool?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:33:17 GMT

This had been purposeful, base-0; I convinced that the status bar should start
at 1.  %d should now represent base-1 line number in the command line issued,
and %D represents the base-0 line number.

Thanks - text editors I know start numbering at 1.

That's why the easier one to use, lower-case, is 1; and the backup option is
there "just in case".

- Both display and tree expansion use Hi-res primitives (when they are
available) instead of regular ones, even when 48\ is not specified. While this
can be considered as a feature, this behaviour is annoying for parts authors.

Yes, this was done on purpose.  But because PHILO WANTS IT (kidding), we added a
menu choice to determine whether to use high-res primitives or not.

;o)

In a perfect world Hires would be a good choice, but since everything is not
hires substitution yields misfits and gaps I find especially ugly (same thing in
LDview).

Oh, we agree, and that's why it's now an option.  The original intent was to get
the best looking viewer for developing the OBI syntax (shhh!), so we went for
what looked best.

There has been some test work done to show the 'Cool Silver Diffuse' parts
(black with a "spray-painted silver" overcoat look to them, from 2005 onward)
with the right speckles that's very promising, for instance.  Well, promising,
anyway; not sure about "very" promising.

I have another little complaint: I find it too easy to inadvertently edit and
modify LDraw primitives. Could it be possible to handle files placed in LDraw
folder differently and issue warning if the user tries to modify them?

OK, so I think we're now getting to user-feature requests, over things that need
serious attention.  Which is fine, but for a technology preview, it's probably
best not to focus on the small details before there are major features
implemented that need attention first.

That said, let me understand better... do you want a warning issued whenever the
user tries to [Edit] or change the winding of any portion of a part file
appearing the in the p/ directory?

This sounds like an important consideration for long-range plans as Foundry
starts to truly allow editing of bricks.

For now I'd say that the target user of this Tech Preview should probably know
exactly what he's (or she's) doing, despite the nice trappings of a win32 file
dialog and so forth; and not fall victim to thinking that the app is in any way
feature complete or well tested yet.

Please go at this app carefully with test data and look for cracks in the armor.
If we can't find those, then hopefully we'll get some better features
implemented (adding lines is in development right now), and THEN start fixing
any user-features we forgot to design in.

Just the same, presuming I understood your intent, that design feature is
strongly noted.

     -- joshua