 CAD / 15516
Re: BFC Tool?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2008 05:52:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Benjamin Lyttle wrote:
Just out of random, or perhaps not so random curiosity, is there a tool that can
take the red/ green of the BFC tools in Ldview/ L3Lab and highlight the
corresponding lines?  I ask because I'm slowly trying to reverse lines between
MLcad/LDview/LDDP and it's taking a long time to figure which lines need to be
reversed and which lines don't.  It's probably my own fault for writing the part
the way I did, but I think it would be helpful to have a tool like that
somewhere.  There is a button in MLcad for BFC but mine doesn't do anything - is
there a way to change that?

I'm currently knee-deep in LEGO database stuff;
which I've put on hold to try to get the color stuff for ldconfig ironed out;
all of which has this OTHER project on hold, but...

I have a buddy who's only peripherally interested in LEGO, but whom I got
involved in checking out the LDRAW spec as a side interest.  He created a new
parser library from that spec, pretty much to letter (supporting things like
color redefinition that I later found out almost no one has bothered to support
because of lack of demand).

In order to test out his library as more than just a viewer, I started to design
with him a new series of tools for working with parts, and then putting those
parts together (new MLCAD, sorta, eventually; but we're not even close yet).

Demands at work have forced us to back-burner the project for the time being,
but I've used the tool I'm about to reference to great utility even in its
current state.

There's no warranty for this, so try at your own risk, but you can download his
technology preview build of "Foundry" at
http://alumni.cse.ucsc.edu/~dulcaoin/LEGO/Foundry.zip

This operates much as a simple viewer. Use File | Open to open a part in your
LDRAW/PARTS directory. Then notice the bottom pane of the display, showing a
tree view of the various sections of the part/model.  You can navigate that tree
and see the appropriate parts of the model highlighted as you do.

Click on the part/model (I use this more for individual parts), and see the line
in the tree become active.

The line number of the line within the relevant file is shown, so you can
right-click and choose edit, and it will by default fire up notepad.exe on the
file, and then you can move to the line you want.

If you want to get REALLY tricky, download and install Florian Balmer's Notepad2
application, which can take a line on the command line to move to. (if you do
this, use something like 'c:\windows\system32\notepad2.exe /g %d %f' (without
the quotes, naturally) as your Editor Command in the Preferences box).  That
would fire up notepad2 on the file and position the cursor on the relevant line
number. (%d is replaced by the line number, %f by the file name, when the editor
is executed).

Note the right-hand icon on the toolbar, the white and red chevron?  This can be
clicked, or you can use Display | Backface Test Mode.  That will show backfaces
in red.

See the OBI icon and menu item?  Ignore those for now. Top secret new LDRAW
syntax I've been designing that's not quite ready for prime-time yet.  Didn't
want to get that out too early, but this tool can useful enough that I wanted to
put it out since people are asking. You can harmlessly turn it on, but without
modified PARTS files, it won't do anything differently for you.

Last thing I can think of, holding down alt changes how your clicks on the part
are treated: typically clicking will select a pretty large object, such as an
entire sub-file.  Alt-click selects down at the primitive level.  "Play" with it
to see how that works.

This IS a Technology Preview, and has an expiration of January 1, 2009;
hopefully we'll have time to add to it and get new versions out before then.

It will save settings to your registry; if you need to reset those, check under
HCCU/Software/Wrightnow Developments/Foundry

That's about all I can think of for now; sorry this is sketchy and quick;
hopefully this will be useful for folks...

     -- joshua