 CAD / 12571
Re: Trouble creating building instructions using lpub and mpd file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:03:17 GMT

Hmmm, I'm not sure if this effort is actually making things more
compatible.

In lugnet.cad, Lars C. Hassing wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
Using MLCad as a benchmark, the name with blanks is *not* enclosed
in quotes.  I use the remainder of the line, sans end of line as
the file name.

I just did a little testing myself.  MLCad seems to strip off any
whitespace (tabs and space characters) at the end of the line when
it grabs the filename.  Is that what you meant by "sans end of line"?
I'm not sure what happens if you actually manage to create a file
with trailing white space, something like "my file.ldr   ".

If the new L3P allows blanks in file names, I can easily remove the
check.  It is only in one place in the code.  Once removed, the
rest of the code is ready for blanks in file names.

I am currently going through the L3P code and I have now added support
for filenames with spaces, both in linetype 1 and in "0 FILE xxx".
It now uses the rest of the line as the filename.
It also accepts filenames in double-quotes.

Well, that's ok for l3p because it doesn't create any new ldr files.
But MLCad doesn't seem to accept filenames in double quotes.  (It
treats the quotes as part of the filename).  So what do I do if I
want to write a program that creates new ldraw files.  We now have
some programs that accept filenames in double-quotes and treat the
remainder of the line as comments.  We have some programs that accept
everything but trailing whitespace as the filename.  And we have some
other programs that try to do both.  It's still an incompatible mess.
How about an official recommendation from ldraw.org?

FWIW, I prefer the quotes because it's less ambiguous.  Consider the
possibility that you might want a meta command where the filename is
in the middle.  When you don't use the quotes you don't know where the
filename ends and the meta command picks up.  Kevin, I think this may
be a problem with the way you were planning on using the MLCAD group
command.

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents.  Have fun,

Don