 CAD / 12536
  Trouble creating building instructions using lpub and mpd file

Hi all...I just found out about MLCAD/Ldraw/Lpub last week, and I've been trying to figure out all the programs. I was able to create an .mpd of an archway with a clocktower above it. It seems to work fine in MLCAD, but when I try to build (...) (19 years ago, 2-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Trouble creating building instructions using lpub and mpd file

(...) Try removing the blanks from your file names. (...) Blanks in file names again. (...) I'll work on the blanks in filename problem in LPub. Kevin (...) (19 years ago, 2-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Trouble creating building instructions using lpub and mpd file

(...) That will be so nice. Thank you! That one caught me again just this afternoon. And I know better. However, I just forgot at one point, added a space to a file name and.... well you know the rest. :) Anyway, glad to hear it's fixable. Best (...) (19 years ago, 3-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Trouble creating building instructions using lpub and mpd file

(...) Hi Allan, In light of this article: (URL) I now have a dilema on this topic. Add code that makes me compatible with MLCad but violating the specification, or leave it as is and explain to people that MLCad does allow blanks in file names, but (...) (19 years ago, 6-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad, FTX)

  Re: Trouble creating building instructions using lpub and mpd file

(...) I apologize in advance if this is a stupid solution but what about this: Is there a way for you to check for spaces in the file name as lpub attempts to open it? If so, can you then abort the file open process and throw a pop-up message that (...) (19 years ago, 6-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad, FTX)

  Re: Trouble creating building instructions using lpub and mpd file

(...) You are right, but the error handling problem is larget than just blanks in file names. All of this boils down to the wimpy method that LPub uses to parse LDraw files. If you type in a meta-command “0 LPUB PIL”, rather than “0 LPUB PLI”, lpub (...) (19 years ago, 6-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad, FTX)

  Re: Trouble creating building instructions using lpub and mpd file

In lugnet.cad, Allan Bedford wrote: snip (...) snip (...) snip (...) Allan, Your opinions are valued. Thanks. I decided to take the pragmatic way out, and adjust my parsing to support file names with blanks. I think that warnings will lead to just (...) (19 years ago, 8-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad, FTX)

  Re: Trouble creating building instructions using lpub and mpd file

(...) I think you made the right decision, but I have a question. Do the filenames with embedded spaces have quotes around them, or do they just use up all the space to the end of the LDRAW type 1 command line? The reason I ask is because I seem to (...) (19 years ago, 8-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Trouble creating building instructions using lpub and mpd file

(...) Hi Don, Using MLCad as a benchmark, the name with blanks is *not* enclosed in quotes. I use the remainder of the line, sans end of line as the file name. Alas, my efforts are for naught. L3P quietly ignores the lines that have names with (...) (19 years ago, 8-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Trouble creating building instructions using lpub and mpd file

(...) I am currently going through the L3P code and I have now added support for filenames with spaces, both in linetype 1 and in "0 FILE xxx". It now uses the rest of the line as the filename. It also accepts filenames in double-quotes. /Lars (19 years ago, 10-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Trouble creating building instructions using lpub and mpd file

Hmmm, I'm not sure if this effort is actually making things more compatible. (...) I just did a little testing myself. MLCad seems to strip off any whitespace (tabs and space characters) at the end of the line when it grabs the filename. Is that (...) (19 years ago, 10-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Trouble creating building instructions using lpub and mpd file

(...) I'll do the same. (...) Hi Don, Nice post. GROUP commands are defined outside the LDraw spec, but I'd guess that the naming issues are the same. I just made a minor change to: 0 PLIST BEGIN SUB <file> // depricated 0 LPUB PLI BEGIN SUB <file> (...) (19 years ago, 10-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Trouble creating building instructions using lpub and mpd file

(...) Well, technically ldlite has been around since well before MLCad, and it supports the double quotes, but MLCad is more widely used. So I guess you could make that argument either way. (...) I only asked for a recommendation, not a requirement. (...) (19 years ago, 10-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Trouble creating building instructions using lpub and mpd file

(...) I used them until I got a VERY bizarre image of the 10016 tanker in L3p/PovRay. I promptly switched to using hyphens prefixed by the model id :) (19 years ago, 10-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Trouble creating building instructions using lpub and mpd file

(...) There are other possibilities too, for example: 7. You can exceed 8.3 but don't embed spaces or other sorts of whitespace 8. Limit filenames to only the character set legal for BrickShelf folders Not meant to be exhaustive, just to get (...) (19 years ago, 10-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Trouble creating building instructions using lpub and mpd file

(...) You could also define an escape character, to accept the character following (including spaces) as part of the string. However, as the standard allows both / and \ as directory separators, it would require some character other than \ (a common (...) (19 years ago, 11-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

"Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message [ ... snipped ... ] (...) [ ... snipped ... ] I highly recommend the O'Reilly "lex and yacc" book, I found it very helpful for a project I did at work a number of years ago. The moderated (...) (19 years ago, 11-Apr-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad)