 CAD / 12573
Re: Trouble creating building instructions using lpub and mpd file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:52:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
The only strike against double quotes is backward compatibility.

Well, technically ldlite has been around since well before MLCad,
and it supports the double quotes, but MLCad is more widely used.
So I guess you could make that argument either way.

Isn't it too late to make this a requirement?

I only asked for a recommendation, not a requirement.  But I would
like some sort of decision to move forward with.  Also, I suspect
that filenames with embedded spaces are not all that widely used
at this point because of the lack of any kind of standard.  If you
look, you'll see everytime someone has mentioned it, the suggestion
was not to use them.

Anyhow, how about if the Ldraw Standards Committee folks have a
round of emails and give some direction.  I don't really care all
that much what gets picked, just pick something so we can code it
and expect other programs to read it.  Here's some choices.

  1.  Everything to the end of line except trailing whitespace.
  2.  Accept filenames with surrounding quotes (and whitespace inside).
  3.  Both 1 and 2 are acceptable.
  4.  Same as 3, but prefer 1.
  5.  Same as 3, but prefer 2.
  6.  8.3 filenames only.  Curses upon you if you do anything else.

How about it?  Enjoy,

Don