 Announcements / 3129
3128  |  3130
Subject:
Bricksmith 1.3: Here's Looking at You, Kid
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 03:25:15 GMT

My latest update to Bricksmith for Macintosh is focused heavily on viewing-related enhancements.

Bricksmith 1.3 adds the following features:
  • Multiple viewports
  • Perspective in the 3D view
  • Preset orthographic viewing angles (front, top, etc.)
  • Speed improvements of up to 40% in a single viewport
  • Select All works
  • Added a Tutorial
  • Use the mouse for zooming and scrolling! There’s both a “tool palette” and Photoshop-style hotkeys:
Zoom In:
   space-command-click

Zoom Out:
   space-option-click

Center:
   command-click

Smooth zoom in/out:
   command-drag

Pan-Scroll:
   space-drag

It also fixes the following bugs:
  • Fixed glitch whereby parts might rotate unexpectedly when moved
  • Fixed crash when removing then adding certain toolbar items

Bricksmith 1.3 was something of a monumental undertaking for me, and there were several times when I was pretty sure I’d bitten off more than I could chew. Implementing perspective (a vanishing point) was by far the worst. However, I am delighted that I finally grasped the concept, because the distortions caused by an orthographic camera were extremely annoying.

Perhaps the Number One request I’ve received for this program is to provide preset viewing angles, like “Front” or “Left,” so I’m happy to fulfill that wish as well. Note, however, that perspective is ill-suited to such head-on views, so the camera automatically switches back to orthographic when you view a model that way.

This is probably the last time you’ll see enormous speed gains, as all parts are now drawn via OpenGL display lists.

On a side note, Bricksmith has now been downloaded over 16,000 times. I’m guessing the overwhelming majority of those users are getting their first taste of LDraw. But I would also very much like to hear the needs of the truly devoted.

Bricksmith requires Mac OS X 10.3 or later, and may be download it at http://bricksmith.sourceforge.net/. It is not yet Intel native, but I will try it out as soon as I get access to an Intel Mac.

Sincerely,
Allen Smith