 Announcements / 3129
  Bricksmith 1.3: Here's Looking at You, Kid

My latest update to Bricksmith for Macintosh is focused heavily on viewing-related enhancements. (2 URLs) Bricksmith 1.3> adds the following features: Multiple viewports Perspective in the 3D view Preset orthographic viewing angles (front, top, (...) (18 years ago, 27-Jan-06, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Bricksmith 1.3: Here's Looking at You, Kid

(...) Just installed this and I think it's great! I have a few questions. I was looking for a way to save each step as an image and for how to save or export a parts list to text. Are these features available? Russell BayLUG (18 years ago, 21-Mar-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Bricksmith 1.3: Here's Looking at You, Kid

Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm and suggestions. Unfortunately, Bricksmith does not have any native ability to export the images it generates. Since they would be unsuitable for printing anyway, this feature is not apt to ever appear. What I (...) (18 years ago, 22-Mar-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Bricksmith 1.3: Here's Looking at You, Kid

(...) I guess what I am asking about is that if I create a set of instructions, there is no way to save or print to a .pdf file? Not a problem. I can just share the .mpd file, but I figured I would ask. (...) I don't know about Peeron, but MLCAD (...) (18 years ago, 23-Mar-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Bricksmith 1.3: Here's Looking at You, Kid

(...) When I create a set of instructions, I use MacMegaPOV/POV-Ray to individually render a super-high-quality image for each step. I then arrange them manually with a page-layout program. My ultimate goal is always to print them. Of course, (...) (18 years ago, 29-Mar-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Bricksmith 1.3: Here's Looking at You, Kid

(...) I don't think it has to be. My friend made me a parts list from MLCAD and it was arranged alphabetically by part description. I think it would make the most logical sense to sort a parts list by part number. Russell (18 years ago, 29-Mar-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Bricksmith 1.3: Here's Looking at You, Kid

(...) The resolution argument actually doesn't hold up. When I added printing support to LDView in Windows, I made it generate an image using tiling that was at the printer's resolution (or maybe I maxed out at 300DPI; that was four years ago, so I (...) (18 years ago, 29-Mar-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Bricksmith 1.3: Here's Looking at You, Kid

(...) Okay, that puts me in my place. I hereby recant any prior suggestions about crummy resolution! Now that we have established that OpenGL can produce print-quality images, my question is: Can OpenGL produce instruction-quality graphics? Even (...) (18 years ago, 4-Apr-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Bricksmith 1.3: Here's Looking at You, Kid

(...) For what it's worth, I don't think most people are aware that OpenGL can be used to render images at arbitrary resolutions. Most video cards don't support rendering directly above 2048x2048. (Presumably the new cards that support 2560x1600 (...) (18 years ago, 4-Apr-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Bricksmith 1.3: Here's Looking at You, Kid

Travis, Those images are very impressive! The lines are big and bold, instead of disappearing into the surface they are supposed to be outlining. They are instruction-grade. I will say, however, that MegaPOV does a better job doing stud outlining on (...) (18 years ago, 7-Apr-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Bricksmith 1.3: Here's Looking at You, Kid

(...) The lines do end up with different thicknesses at different places due to the way they get drawn. As far as I know, thick lines in OpenGL are drawn such that a section perpendicular to the line direction is all drawn at the same Z depth. So (...) (18 years ago, 7-Apr-06, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)