 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 738
Re: Bricksmith 1.3: Here's Looking at You, Kid
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 06:33:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Allen Smith wrote:
   Travis,

Those images are very impressive! The lines are big and bold, instead of disappearing into the surface they are supposed to be outlining. They are instruction-grade. I will say, however, that MegaPOV does a better job doing stud outlining on so on. (See http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/mac/?n=707) For instance, the lines on the bottom of the studs in your image are not as thick as the ones on top. That’s not a major quibble, though. Incidentally, MegaPOV does outline walls bricks properly—just don’t ask me how. The edge-tracing parameters I use are in the post linked above.

The lines do end up with different thicknesses at different places due to the way they get drawn. As far as I know, thick lines in OpenGL are drawn such that a section perpendicular to the line direction is all drawn at the same Z depth. So when you draw that in a valley, some of the thickness goes away. The only reason they look as good as they do is due to the use of glPolygonOffset. I use this to move the solid polygons away from the camera by a little bit, so that the lines show better.

   It also looks like you have much better lighting than I have managed to achieve. I only dabble in 3D graphics as a hobby, and my way-too-reflective surfaces prove it.

You’re welcome to steal the lighting parameters I use in LDView. If you’re interested, browse LDView’s CVS on sourceforge, and take a look at LDrawModelViewer.cpp. Look for glLight* calls and glMaterial* calls. I think all the lighting setup is in setupLights and setupMaterial.

   What I’m most amazed by is that you report drawing a Star Destroyer 12 times a second. I draw all parts in display lists, which improved drawing speed by 60%, but it still takes about 2 seconds to draw the Star Destroyer model on a 2.7 GHz G5. What in the world did you do to get 24 times that speed?

There could be a number of factors, I guess. I have an GeForce 7800GT video card, which obviously produces fairly fast geometry performance. My CPU is a dual-core Athlon 3800+ (2GHz), but I suspect that the video card has a greater impact on the performance than the CPU. I’m not sure what kind of video card the G5 Mac has, since the single-core models don’t appear to be available from Apple any more. However, the current Dual-core and Quad-core models don’t appear to come with video cards that would be expected to have stunning geometry performance.

Additionally, I use vertex arrays. When I first wrote LDView, I did everything with standard geometry in display lists (glBegin(GL_QUADS), glVertex3f(...), etc). LDView 3.0’s biggest feature from my point of view was a new rendering engine that dropped those in favor of vertex arrays (still in display lists by default). I’m not sure why that would make such a big difference, though. Perhaps the video driver on the Mac doesn’t do a good job of optimizing display lists?

After all, LDView 3 didn’t end up being that much faster than LDView 2 (maybe twice as fast, best case, and usually nowhere near that big of a difference). Since LDView doesn’t have to deal with editing, I am able to have a display list for the whole model that calls out to all the part display lists. That doesn’t seem to affect my performance much, though. I have three memory settings, one of which uses no display lists at all, one of which uses display lists for each part, but not for the model, and one of which uses display lists for the parts and the model as a whole. When I turn display lists off completely it drops to 10FPS. (Note that the vertex arrays do help a lot when display lists aren’t used. Immediate mode is well-known for being fairly slow.)

One thing I do is to flatten parts. In other words, if I decide a file is a part, I promote all its sub-file geometry (and sub-sub-file, ad nauseum) to act in LDView as if all the geometry was in the part file itself. This greatly reduces the amount of tree traversal required during rendering, but if the part itself is in a display list, there’s no tree traversal. I seem to remember that having all those little display lists inside the part was detrimental to the performance, though, so this could be the easiest way to gain performance. (It’s a whole lot easier than switching to vertex arrays, trust me.) Flattening parts increases the memory requirements, but the ISD uses just under 150MB in LDView when LDView’s memory setting is set to “high” (full display list usage), and considering how large the file is, I consider this to be acceptable.

You might try downloading and compiling the original Cocoa LDView source code from here:

http://www.raftis.net:16080/~alex/source.html

(If you do this, don’t forget to download the dependencies listed in the last column on that page. They’re on the same page.)

That’s a really old version of LDView, but it uses standard OpenGL geometry commands inside display lists. It might suck up a ton of memory though. LDView 2 flattens all the geometry in the entire model into one great big non-heirarchical data structure, and then sticks that into a display list. LDView 1.0 didn’t do that. I’m not sure what LDView version the Cocoa version is based on. I loaded the file in LDView 2.1.01 in Windows, and it used about 750MB VM (although only around 200MB actual memory). I tried LDView 1.0, and it only used about 200MB VM.

   I’m sorry I came across as sounding defensive; that wasn’t my intention. I found what you said very interesting, not condescending. It merely failed to mesh with my preconceived notions. Now I have been enlightened!

Good to hear. I know that when I re-read it, I could definitely see how what I wrote could have come across in a negative way. I’m glad it didn’t come across that way to you.

--Travis