 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 735
Re: Bricksmith 1.3: Here's Looking at You, Kid
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 00:57:21 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Allen Smith wrote:
   Of course, producing print-quality images using a real-time onscreen design program like Bricksmith just wouldn’t work out well; the images wouldn’t be a high-enough resolution.

The resolution argument actually doesn’t hold up. When I added printing support to LDView in Windows, I made it generate an image using tiling that was at the printer’s resolution (or maybe I maxed out at 300DPI; that was four years ago, so I don’t really remember).

Okay, that puts me in my place. I hereby recant any prior suggestions about crummy resolution! Now that we have established that OpenGL can produce print-quality images, my question is: Can OpenGL produce instruction-quality graphics? Even more germanely, can Bricksmith produce such graphics? I seriously doubt it.

Usable instructions demand boldly-outlined edges around each part. Bricksmith doesn’t do that, even more so because it doesn’t even draw conditional lines. But even if it did, I don’t think part-outlining would begin to approach what MegaPOV can do, which is to say that it would be well nigh useless.

LPub, meanwhile, is based on POV-Ray/MegaPOV, so it has little bearing on whether OpenGL viewers should have built-in image-exporting abilities. LPub is essentially a way to automate the highly-labor-intensive render-it-all-by-hand process I use for my own instructions, and can therefore produce output I would deem acceptable. If you want easy and good instructions on the Mac, recreate the LPub workflow! Unfortunately, I don’t have the time to do that; my hands are full enough with an LDraw editor. But it would be fantastic if someone could do it, because I’m the first to admit that my way stinks.

Allen