 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 737
Re: Bricksmith 1.3: Here's Looking at You, Kid
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 01:26:25 GMT

Travis,

Those images are very impressive! The lines are big and bold, instead of disappearing into the surface they are supposed to be outlining. They are instruction-grade. I will say, however, that MegaPOV does a better job doing stud outlining on so on. (See http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/mac/?n=707) For instance, the lines on the bottom of the studs in your image are not as thick as the ones on top. That’s not a major quibble, though. Incidentally, MegaPOV does outline walls bricks properly—just don’t ask me how. The edge-tracing parameters I use are in the post linked above.

It also looks like you have much better lighting than I have managed to achieve. I only dabble in 3D graphics as a hobby, and my way-too-reflective surfaces prove it.

What I’m most amazed by is that you report drawing a Star Destroyer 12 times a second. I draw all parts in display lists, which improved drawing speed by 60%, but it still takes about 2 seconds to draw the Star Destroyer model on a 2.7 GHz G5. What in the world did you do to get 24 times that speed?

I’m sorry I came across as sounding defensive; that wasn’t my intention. I found what you said very interesting, not condescending. It merely failed to mesh with my preconceived notions. Now I have been enlightened!

Sincerely,
Allen