 Administrative / Suggestions / 1207
Re: List of suggestions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 00:50:14 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/List

Please give it a boo.

Just one question - there's a couple there with (??) after the status, can you
give more info what that means?

It means I think (unofficially) that is the status, but I'm not sure and it's a
placeholder pending clarification from the implementation team. That seemed
clear to me at the time, was it not what you thought it meant? I can add a
Status Key, I guess... would I need to explain what Open and Rejected mean too,
do you think?

Maybe a better way would just be to leave them
at "Open" until the status is not in question?

Maybe, but I don't think so at the moment, I think there's value in capturing
status (and inviting correction) even if I wasn't sure what the status was at
the time.

Note, (again, unofficially, this is me only talking) I expect most suggestions
are either going to get implemented at some point (a minority), or going to stay
in status "open" forever, that is, till they are implemented, if ever, rather
than the way that, say, BL flushes all suggestions after approximately 6 months.
It will only be a few rare suggestions that go to "rejected" and in those cases
I expect that the linked threads will usually show why, which is why when I was
asked if I expected that we would be explaining every reject explicitly, I said
that I didn't expect it would be that way.

Nothing prevents someone from, on seeing that a suggestion went to "rejected",
from following the link and posting followup information... either just (after
review of the thread) a question as to why it was rejected, or more information
that might cause a revision of status.

This isn't a perfect problem tracking system, it doesn't have ranking or weights
or estimates of effort or categorizations of type. But it strikes me as  BETTER
than what we had before which is why I did it. Hopefully I was right and it's
helpful.