 Administrative / General / 13600
Re: Announcing the new LUGNET Link List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:52:24 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Rene Hoffmeister wrote:
Hi Lenny & Ben,

would it make sense to have a category "LEGO Clubs / User Groups (local)" for
all the XyzLUGs and another one "LEGO Clubs / User Groups (worldwide)" for e.g.
LUGNET, LEGOFan.org etc.?

I would suggest the two category headings of:

- Local User Groups
- Online Communities

"Local User Groups" are geographically significant and involve face-to-face
meetings and often hold recurring public displays or events. (NELUG, WAMALUG,
ItLUG?, FreeLUG?, SCLTC, a FIRST LEGO League team, etc.)

"Online Communities" exist primarily online, and have members from a variety of
places. These organizations may tie together other communities. They may serve
to share information or to simply chat. (LUGNET, LegoFan, 1000Steine, Classic
Castle, JLUG, ILTCO, Save 9v Trains, FIRST LEGO League, LDraw.org, the LEGO
Robotics mailing list, the official LEGO.com forums, the LEGO® Maniacs' Journal,
and many others...)

We should try to keep it quite obvious to people who are looking for a community
which meets their expectations.

I agree and I believe two categories should be plenty.

Though probably the question whether online or
not isn't that important to these people, at least not during a first search for
ANY community in which they would like to participate.

I would disagree with the assumption of their order of searching for a
community. Perhaps this "an American thing", but I personally make a huge
distinction between online and offline interaction with people. Finding other
AFOLs who live nearby, or visiting a group when I happen to be in their town, is
very special to me, and rare. NELUG provides me with an exceptionally rich
experience. Online communities on the other hand are common and all work pretty
much the same way. One can lurk in an online community, but not in a real-life
LUG.

-Suz