 Administrative / General / 13596
Re: Announcing the new LUGNET Link List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 05:22:24 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Rene Hoffmeister wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Benjamin Ellermann wrote:
I think you should add a category:

Community General Discussion Sites

This would cover several sites that are not affiliated with a specific lug or
theme.  Examples of such sites are EuroBricks and LEGOfan.org (and since LEGOfan
is run by fans, I do not consider this as a company site - or maybe it is both)

Ben

Um... I think general discussion sites are also a kind of LUG?

Would you describe Lugnet as a LUG?

I wouldn't.  To me, a "LUG" implies an essential real-life interaction that does
not happen on forum sites (which are online based).  (For example, 'DixieLUG' is
a real life club based in Atlanta, 'Classic-space.com' is an online forum for
fans of space, while both may have some mutual members, they are two distinctly
different things)

-Lenny

I completely agree with Lenny.  There is a difference between online and offline
groups.  LUG is synonymous with physical offline organizations.  LUGs may also
have discussion sites (many in Europe do).  Discussion sites are different.
Lugnet is not a Lug - it links to lugs and also hosts discussions.

Ben