 Year / 2001 / 238
Re: here comes the next wave of 2001 sets...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 15:32:54 GMT

Erik, Yeah I guess most folks wouldn't remember the 50's (I have so few memories
myself :-) , but the current window assortment just doesn't give AFOL's enough
windows to build with.  I don't know what TLC's fixation with doors is all about.
They almost make as many different doors as they do windows.  Erik, I agree two 2x2
windows stacked upon each other doesn't look all that terrific.  But 4 of them (2x2)
looks better.  I wish TLC would re-introduce the 1x3x2 and 1x4x2 windows as well as
the three small types.

Minitalia, a nearly identical version of LEGO that TLC sold in Italy many years ago
made several window sizes that looked pretty neat.  They made a 1x4x3 with 12 panes
(note this was the predecessor to the 1x4x3 of today, but was made at least 5 years
earlier than the 1x4x3 -- the Minitalia version also has the side appendages for the
shutters, using the identical green ones that TLC still uses today).  They also made
a classic size 1x6x3 with 13 panes --- 6 on either side of a large central pane (the
side panes were 3 tall/2 wide.  I wish TLC (who made Minitalia) made some of these
types of windows again, but for LEGO.  I have a few of the Minitalia windows, with
some more on the way from Europe.

There are so many different window possibilities that TLC could come out with.  Too
bad the current selection is so limited.

Gary Istok

Erik Olson wrote:

Hi Gary,

not all of us can "remember" facts about 1957-1973, but I digress
(hey.. my first Lego memory was in 1976 when I built a prairie. You know, the
thing that boats tie up to on a lake. I wanted to put a little house on it but I
really never finished the prairie, or made the boats. Kids.)

Anyway, I totally forgot about 4-high doors. But, thinking about you, I dug out
those 2 red 3-high doors and used them for windows alongside a 1978-size 1x4x3
window frame. (I'm a minifig scale kinda builder.) I've come to realize that the
1x4x3 system needs a half-width window frame with one shutter. And that with all
the 1x4x3 clear thin walls in bulk, their halves are scarce.

After using the 1x2x3 doors as half-windows, I decided to try the 1x3x4 door
frame as a shop window, alongside a 1x4x5 door. It's supposed to be a display
window. It didn't look good so I went back to using two 1x2x2 windows stacked.
That doesn't look terrific either.

I try to accomodate to minifig town parts where windows are WIDE, but the real
world's not like that and is full of tall narrow windows. ARGH.

-Erik