 Year / 2001 / 231
Re: here comes the next wave of 2001 sets...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 15:19:35 GMT

Erik Olson wrote:

If Gary Istok builds only to the 60s Town Plan scale, the minifig generation
will then appreciate his viewpoint!

However, Alpha Team has minifigs. Star Wars has minifigs.

Thanks Erik.   For the sake of all you folks out there I hope they don't change
the scale of LEGO again.  Just remember from 1957-73 it was 1 door = 3 bricks
high.  Then from 1974-77 it was 1 door = 4 bricks high with those minifig
stiffs.  And since 1978 it has been 1 door = 5 bricks high.  Well now they have
the 1x4x6 windows... does that mean that the scale might be increased again????
I kind of doubt it, but we shall see.

Another interesting thing about changing LEGO Scales in the 1970's has been the
decision to change the concept of LEGO buildings from a "4 walls" structure, to
a "3 walls" structure so that the rear open side allows building interiors.
That happened with the advent of the - minifig/5 brick high doors - in 1978.  So
that my classic scale buildings are not only on a smaller scale (to correspond
to the classic windows and doors), but always have 4 walls, and no interior
embellishments (unless there is a skylight or large window to give interior
views --- then I like flooring in checkerboard patterns (in tiles) or other such
designs).

Another reason I like to build in the classic scale is that a 25 story office
building will fit on a table in the basement.  With the current minifig scale,
such grand structures have a ceiling restriction problem (not to mention up til
now the restrictions in the availability in modern windows).

For those newbies that haven't seen my classic scale city buildings, here's the
website:

http://my.voyager.net/lar/gistok.html

Gary Istok
"I never met a classic window I didn't like"