 Year / 2001 / 232
Re: here comes the next wave of 2001 sets...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 15:31:19 GMT

Don Heyse wrote:

In lugnet.year.2001, John Rudy writes:
In lugnet.year.2001, James Trobaugh writes:
Hey are these a new kind of LEGO people?

http://www.1000steine.de/katalog/2001/4118.jpg

I've don't recall seeing them anywhere before.

jt

I Don't Know, but if that "girl" hair fits minifigs, I can tell you what
Hermione from "Harry Potter" will look like.  Is that frizly male hair?
-John Rudy

Yes.  This picture looks like it has the hair from the three
main characters of the Harry potter books.

http://www.1000steine.de/katalog/2001/4176.jpg

Don

It does indeed look like the three main characters from the Harry Potter
books.  Which leads me to the question:  why?  I do not think LEGO would
release the main characters from an upcoming theme ahead of the theme's
release.   These are a brand new type of figure for LEGO.  I believe
that these might have been developed as a prototype for the HP
theme...but we will see something different when the theme is released.

What do I think about the new figures?  I haven't decided.  BUT, they do
address a lot of the concerns that people have voiced about "minifig
scale" here on this group.  These figures are much more realistically
porportioned than minifigs and they would add a sense of realism of
movement that would allow all sorts of new play possibilities with
Lego.  I agree with another poster that thought LEGO might be testing
the waters by releasing these gigs in BASIC-style sets first.  But if
they become mainstreamed and part of what used to be called SYSTEM, it
will be a whole new ballgame.  My prediction...kids will love the new
figures...LEGO will sell larger sets with more prefab pieces that take
less time to build...and Lego will become more of a Playmobil-type play
toy aimed at the 4-7 yo crowd (before they move onto video gaming
proper).

The minifig is dead...long live the <*gasp*...these haven't been named
yet>

Some suggestions:

Articulated Fig (Artifig)
Realistic Fig (Realfig)
Kinetic Fig (Kinetifig)
Action Fig
Life-like Fig (Biofig)

hmmm...these all suck...but I'm sure someone will come up with something
good...

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu