 Trains / Train Organizations / TCLTC / 125
Re: Christmas Trolley in Metallic Silver (drool)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org.tcltc, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 2009 17:58:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org.tcltc, John Neal wrote:
   Whoa, thanks for the heads up. Our tree is in a carpeted room, and I doubt I’ll ever run the thing except around Christmas time. It’ll probably spend most of its life on display.

The painted silver parts can take a certain amount of abuse (I mean, the stuff doesn’t flake off when you rub it, so...), and simply tipping over probably isn’t enough to do much damage unless it’s at high speed on, say, some sort of natural aggregate (stone, sand, etc.). Carpet should be fine. Not having hordes of little kids reaching out to grab at it as it zips past should help a lot in that regard, and not having a three foot drop to floor level will really help. Even on carpet, having the cars land on top of each other would probably be enough to do damage to the paint.

Also, note that this only applies to the new painted silver/gold. They’ve also been molding parts in silver/gold plastic, like the 1x1 cones, or the various parts they used to make the Ark of the Covenent in the Indiana Jones Well of Souls set (the treasure chest from the truck chase set was painted). That type of part is as abuse-resistant as any other basic color of opaque brick. And if you’re not sure which type you have, check the finish. If the color is very smooth and even, it’s probably painted. If you can see any sort of swirls in the pigment, it’s metallic colored plastic.

   Sad to hear about the scratching issues, Dave. I will remember to be less fastidious!

Yeah, you say that now... Um, if anyone ever approaches you about doing a layout adjacent to real operational steam engines, tell then NO. The reason I was tearing my stuff apart and washing individual bricks with a toothbrush was because it was the only way I could figure out to get the soot and oil and other gunk off my MOCs. I’d even tried using handiwipes on the Nerd Herd car, and all it did was make black smears out of black spots. Even worse, when I got around to washing the parts from that car, I found that the black smudges were much more difficult to scrub off of the white parts than had been the case with the white parts on two other cars. Normally, the worst I have to deal with is the eventual build-up of dust, and a keyboard brush is the quickest/cleanest way to deal with that, but this sooty grime was truly disgusting, and there simply didn’t appear to be any other way to completely remove it from my stuff. I’m just glad that the largest things I brought were cars. I still have a few things that I have to wash, all of which have at least one trouble piece (cloth capes, stickers, a painted Jango Fett torso, a loose micromotor and wires), but I can get by without any of those items for the rest of the year.