 Trains / Train Organizations / 699
Re: Who owns the stuff, the club or the individaul members?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:32:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.trains.org, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.trains.org, Christopher Masi writes:

Anyway, I was just curious about the internal workings of the clubs.

GMLTC and WAMALUG reps have already described the two main modes, "one person
plus", and "pooled with ownership known". At some point, perhaps, someday,
some club will come into significant funds via some windfall or major • activity
to raise funds. At that point a third mode will arise in which the club • itself
owns significant bricks.

At this time that hasn't come to pass, at least as far as we know. I think it
would take a major independent fundraising activity for it to happen as I
can't see a club charging large dues in order to fund a brick collection, too
many of us are stretched to the limit funding our own habits.

If and when it does, it will be very interesting sociologically to see what
processess evolve around decisions as to what to buy, how to maintain, where
to keep, and so forth.

Larry brings up an interesting possibility and one I hope NELUG has a chance • to
try and work out ;-).

That not being the case yet though NELUG is basically bring what you got leave
with the same type setup.  Buildings and other Moc's are easy.  As for
Minifig's and plain Baseplates we do have a process.

For Baseplates we just label the back.  For Minifig's we assign colored paper
to each member.  That member is then responsible for cutting small strips of
that paper and inserting it into the torso's of their figs.  This way if a
question arises we just rip of the legs (of the minifig not the member) and • see
what color paper falls out.

So far that method has worked well for us although I am sure as we grow and as
other groups grow more solutions will be devised for accounting for • collections
etc.

WAMALUG labels baseplates and track.  We haven't had to tag minifigs yet
because most people populate their own mocs, and I have enough to populate
downtown.  We've done very well with segregation, when several people bring
identical sets (trains, vehicles etc.) we simply mark them with small plates in
unnoticable places.  We have very little "club property".  The LEGO carpet,
K8's and train table skirts are all I can think of.  Most of the tables belong
to Tom until we finish paying him back.