 Trains / Train Organizations / 691
Re: Who owns the stuff, the club or the individaul members?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 20:51:45 GMT

Christopher Masi wrote:

  After looking at WAMALUG's most recent pictures I wondered who owned burp
mountain? Does a member own it (no I am not looking for a name) or is it
property of WAMALUG. A more general question is how do most groups handle this?
I always assumed that there were club dues, clubs would buy stuff, and the
structures made from those things are Club property. Anything built by an
individual from that individual's collection could be part of a layout, but the
item would remain the individual's property. Is that how most clubs do it, or is
everything privately owned, and the club acts as a place to find trading
partners or people with whom one can split sets (I want these parts. You want
those parts. Cool, everyone is happy.)
  Anyway, I was just curious about the internal workings of the clubs.

That's a good question.  At the GMLTC, 99% of the bricks are owned by 1 guy, Conan,
and we just play with his bricks.  Since many of us have our own large collections,
sometimes people bring their own MOCs to shows and they remain separate.
Personally, I build all of my train MOCs from my own collection, but that's because
I have my own train layout at home.

We have no dues, but informally divide up expenses and make contributions
whenever.  For example, J-1 bought an ALPS printer for making decals for our trains
recently.  That baby cost him $300.  Not all are as generous as he is though...:-)

But overall, the key word is informal.  As J-1 so eloquently puts it, "We just like
to build".

-John

Thanks,
Chris