 Trains / Train Organizations / 1848
Re: Boston and Maine / NELUG alternate LOGO possibility
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 01:01:36 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shaun Sullivan writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Kingsley writes:
There was a some interest in having an alternate NELUG Logo that used the
"Fallen Flag" motif that John Neal has been promoting.

http://www.nelug.org/temp/nelug_bm_fig.jpg

(1)  Do we like this idea enough, that others would incorporate a finalized
version on some of their creations?

I would probably encorporate the logo into something, although probably not in
time for our upcomming show.

(2)  Could we print some of these up in time for the train show at the end of
the month?

Probably but it problably wouldn't be the best quality.

(3)  Could we print some of these up as *white* outlines on clear backgrounds?
Sadly, my predilection for steam locomotives leaves me with a poor canvas for
black line drawings to show up on ... do we have access to a high quality
printer that prints white?

Well John has offered to help out.  There are also some services available on
the web for getting custom decals done.  It isn't cheap but the service is
there.  Personally I would want decals in White as well, the main problem is
there are very few printers that print in white.

(4)  Do we have (or can we get access to) blank decal paper quickly?

That I don't know.  My guess is we might be able to get some but combined with
a printer that prints white I don't know unless John is going to be able to do
something quickly.

(5)  Lastly, can we get access to some of that static vinyl sheeting to print
these decals on?  You know, the stuff that looks like a clear sticker, but
adheres via static cling to smooth surfaces?  I would love to use this
instead,
as it is not quite so permament, and shouldn't have much of a problem adhering
to some smooth sections on most trains.

Not a bad idea to look into.

(6) Ha, I lied, just one more: does anybody have any thoughts as to how small
we could get this logo before it became unintelligible?  Ideally, I'd like to
see it shrunk to a point where it would fit on a black 1x2x2 (which is to
say, two studs wide by two bricks high) panel piece.  Could the printer
referred to in (3) produce a resolution that would enable this sort of
miniaturization?

Shawn, it is a good thing you don't ask for much.  Otherwise I wouldn't know
what to do :-).  Anyway I really don't know how small we could make it without
it getting obscured to the point of being unrecognizable.

So, to summarize, my humble request is for the finalized minuteman B&M logo,
high-quality line drawn using white on clear, on static-cling decal paper, by
the end of the month and in sizes appropriate for use on our trains.  Is that
so much to ask?

Not if you have a God like figure manning the controls...  Oh, do we have one
of those?

Regards (and with smoke seeping out of his ears),

You say that as if it wasn't a normal occuance...

Anyway, seeing that no one has objected to the alternate yet I think we should
proceed and get somthing done.  Like I said before it isn't like we are
changing the identity of NELUG, its just incorporating an alternate/second logo
for special circumstances.

So lets go, wheres that finalized version of the logo :-).

Eric Kingsley