Re: Boston and Maine / NELUG alternate LOGO possibility
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 22:14:09 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shaun Sullivan writes:
(1)  Do we like this idea enough, that others would incorporate a finalized
version on some of their creations?

I certainly would enjoy that.  Judging from the other responses, everyone
likes the idea of the alternate logo, and there are no objections to be seen.

(2)  Could we print some of these up in time for the train show at the end of
the month?

If rushing to get the logo means lower quality, I'd just as soon wait.
There will be other shows.

(3)  ...

Sorry I am not certain how to address Questions 3 or 5.  Question 4 is
kinda touched on in my next answer....

(6) Ha, I lied, just one more: does anybody have any thoughts as to how small
we could get this logo before it became unintelligible?  Ideally, I'd like to
see it shrunk to a point where it would fit on a black 1x2x2 (which is to
say, two studs wide by two bricks high) panel piece.  <some snippage>

Hmm.  Well, I do believe the resolution will be limited based on how the
image is created.  However, I do recall once (when working for an
engineering firm in Boston) when I borrowed a letterhead for the Big Dig and
some sticky-back transparency sheets.  I brought them to the copy machine,
loaded the stick-back in, used the reduction-size feature on the copier, and
outputted a tiny Central Artery Tunnel logo, black with clear background.
(I may have had to reduce more than once.)  It was small enough to fit on a
1X1 brick, and still legible!  ...I applied them to the sides of the
Backhoe/Tractor that came with the red flat-bed (4543).  The engineers all
wanted to buy it from me...   Uh, my point is that shrinking things down by
photocopy might have different results than trying to reduce size digitally.
And that sticky-back transparent stuff is likely available at office supply
stores...  ...Doing it in white would only require an inverse (negative) to
photo-copy.  (Although in no way am I saying this is the best solution, just
putting it out there.)

Just my 2 cents...

-Hendo