 Trains / Train Organizations / 1228
Re: TeenLTC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 02:20:12 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Kai Brodersen writes:
If we are to do this i would like to have a "Teen-Brick-Fest"?  I think
there aren't very many teens and there would only be two or three teens per
LTC (my opinion).

Well, since I've been brought up in this, I'm gonna take the liberty to give
a few opinions. ;)

First off, I understand you all are enthusiastic about this, and I don't
want to rain on your parade, but consider the practicalities of your ideas.
How practical would a Teen Brickfest be?  First, there wouldn't be very many
attending (less than the last year's regular Brickfest - which teens
attended - for sure) and parents would have to travel too, adding cost and
making it more prohibitive.  I just don't see something like that as
practically happening.  If you have a club in your area without an age
restriction, just join it and try to get other teens to join, and hang out
there.

and Mentors meaning bosses because thats the exact opposite of what we are
trying to accomplish.  Mentors as in- Show Setup (i.e. getting the GATS and
what have ya to et us display)  and help up with construction of moduoles
and so on is what would be good.  I think the person "Tim" I have been
hearing so much about would like to help us??!?

I doubt you'll get a GATS show for a TeenLTC, because really, there'll be
fewer per geographical area and you will have significantly less budget than
a club of AFOLs.  Again, I really feel bad raining on your parade, but I
don't want to see you get your hopes way up by having these ideas build and
build (no pun intended) and having to be let down.

And, I can't really help out, because I'm really busy with school and other
LEGO things.  Sorry.

Young kids... If they can really be helpful and can attend meetings would be
good BUT teen is really 12/13 to 18 years of age.

Meetings?  Unless you are making this a Michigan thing, its really not
local, so its very hard to have something like this happen.  Alex Kaiser
tried a KidLUG a while back, and from waht I recall it never really went
anywhere because of the spread out geographical area.  I suggest focusing on
local LEGO clubs, getting the kids to go online and perhaps get LUGNET
groups for them.  Maybe if you wanna get a few local LEGO clubs of kids
together for a special regional event, do that.  But anything on a larger
scale just seems too impractical to me.

My two studs...

-Tim