 Trains / Train Organizations / 1229
Re: What's in a name? (I*LTC)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 02:37:13 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, "Mike Walsh" <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> writes:
If no one has any strenuous objections, I suggest that IOLTC it is.

I don't have any objections, but since I just heard about this in the past
few days, it seems rather quick to pick a name within just a few days,
especially if it ends up getting written in stone before everyone has had a
chance to narrow things down to a few names and let them sink in for a
while.

Unless I hear otherwise, that's what I'm going to start calling it,
anyway.

IOLTC it is, as soon as I get the confirmation back from Pairlist it will go
live.  I had come to the same conclusion this morning but am happy to see
the group consensus as well.

Hmm, well, if I didn't know what it stood for, but I knew what other names
stood for, I would see IOLTC and immediately assume that (or wonder if) it
stood for I(something) O(something) LEGO Train Club -- where I and O were
regional letters, maybe Inland Oregon LEGO Train Club or something like
that.

Tradition/convention has:

   XXLTC = (Area) LEGO Train Club

   PNLTC = _P_acific _N_orthwest _L_EGO _T_rain _C_lub
   GMLTC = _G_reater _M_idwest _L_EGO _T_rain _C_lub
   NGLTC = _N_orthern _G_eorgia _L_EGO _T_rain _C_lub
   WAMALTC = _Wa_shington _M_etro _A_rea _L_EGO _T_rain _C_lub
   etc.

so using IO to mean

   IOLTC = _I_nternational _O_rganization [of] _L_EGO _T_rain _C_lub[s]

breaks the consistency of the tradition.  I'm not trying to say that's bad,
just pointing out that it's potentially confusing (which in my book is bad,
because I'm a geek, but it might not be bad in everyone else's book).

Someone suggested LMTA (_L_EGO _M_odel _T_rain _A_ssociation) or LMRA
(_L_EGO _M_odel _R_ailroad _A_ssociation) -- or something like that.
(Unfortunately, lmta.org and lmra.org are already taken.  Is that what they
were?)

Maybe there's an option which puts the I at the front of the word and the O
(or equivalent) at the end of the word -- ILTCA or ILTCO, for example...?
Or something more radical like WWLTF = _W_orld_w_ide _L_EGO _T_rain
_F_ederation...?  (wwltf.org and iltf.org are both open, BTW.)

Just throwing out a few more ideas (some of which are rehashes of older
conversations coming to mind).

--Todd