 Trains / 9920
Re: Trainiacs can rejoice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:47:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frank Buiting writes:
Bulk, service - they're currently listed under bulk but we mean the same
packs :-)
Yeah, I know.  I just meant that they're nothing new.

What I meant was that the advert states that something train related is
happening at april 23. So what is happening april 23? In the line of thought
stated in the message I replied to ("selling more bulkpacks") I would expect
new packs to be released otherwise I'm missing what Matt Brooks meant.
I think Matt was taking the mick with his message about buying $1 000 000
dollars of bulkpacks to get enough of the right pieces to build a single engine.
But have a look at the ad again - it tells you exactly what's happening on
April 23rd:

  "Coming April 23rd, 2001!  Buy your own customized train engine at
www.LEGO.com/Shop"

It doesn't say any major new bulkpacks or kits are on the way - just this
customisable train engine.  Maybe there are more ways to customise it than
just colour (shape etc.), but that doesn't mean they'll sell anyone partial
kits.

What I mean is that I don't expect LEGO to sell stickers as bulkpacks,
therefore I think it will be more than just new bulkpacks.
Okay, yes, I agree.  I thought you were right with the idea of some sort of
interactive web page, where you pick the colour etc., then place your order.
All they have to do is have a stack of option packs, then send you the
combination of packs to build your chosen configuration.  At its simplest
this would be one black bits pack (wheels + body + cab + driver) and one
coloured bits pack (boiler + panels).

Another thing to support the colour-change option; take a close look at
where the printed items are - they're all on black bricks (you can get a
closer look from the scans on the previous thread - there's no obvious edge
indicating stickers).  Even the boiler sides with the printed rails are
actually black bricks.  None of the coloured bricks have any printing on
them, which would make it fairly simple and cheap to produce bundles of the
requisite coloured bricks.

Surely the simplest interpretation of
that picture is that the engine is exactly what you get - nothing more,
nothing less.  No partial bulkpacks or anything, just that model with a
few subtle variations (e.g. as you say, colour).
btw, I meant it probably _will_ be made from partial option packs, but that
you probably _won't_ be able to buy the packs separately - only as a whole
engine.

Yup, I think your guess is as good as mine, isn't it? Unless you have more
information ofcourse ;-)

Uh-uh.  No NDAs on me.  Although this thread has been raised three times
now, it's obvious there are no more facts than the picture and the text.

Jason J Railton