 Trains / 9868
Re: Trainiacs can rejoice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 17:36:47 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frank Buiting writes:
Why "Coming April 23, 2001" while a lot of the train specific bulkpacks are
available today? Perhaps in april we will see even more train-parts available?

They're not bulkpacks.  They're just the old Service Packs (SPs) of wheels
and buffers (though not forgetting the long wagon base kit).  From an e-mail
I got from S@H just before they went up on the website, they said they're
looking at what other SPs to add to the list - but drawn from the old lists.
I wouldn't hold your breath for entirely new SPs.

I'd like to see things like short wagon bases, train rooves, sliding doors
or whole wagon/carriage top kits, but this advert doesn't even hint at
anything like that.  There's probably more to come (what all the NDAs were
about), but you can't read much into one picture of a steam engine... Can you?

I also got a rather cheeky e-mail from European Customer Services.  I'd
asked about buying the wheel and buffer SPs, and had no reply for several
weeks.  I ordered some S@H wagon kits, then after some trouble with their
e-mails I asked them about buying separate wheels and buffers, and they told
me they'd be putting the SPs on S@H.  Then, a week after they went up, I
finally got a reply from Customer Services along the lines of "look, you can
now buy SPs from S@H.  Aren't we a great Customer Services department.  And,
btw, all ideas are ours, not yours.  But we still want to hear from
customers etc."

Then again, the train in the picture has new stickers so I guess there will
be more to it than just new train bulkpacks.

Not sure I follow your logic there.  Surely the simplest interpretation of
that picture is that the engine is exactly what you get - nothing more,
nothing less.  No partial bulkpacks or anything, just that model with a few
subtle variations (e.g. as you say, colour).

Lego have printed all sorts of things on stickers and bricks to use in just
single sets.  Actually though, they look more like printed bricks to me, not
stickers.  I've noticed Lego moving away from sticker use as their printing
gets better and better (UCS X-Wing being the obvious exception).

Does anyone know what those sloping bricks are under the boiler?  They look
like they slope in by 1 stud in a height of just two bricks.  They're taller
than roof slopes, not tall enough for castle buttresses, and the train isn't
wide enough for the X-Wing undercarriage arch.

Jason J Railton