 Trains / 6357
6356  |  6358
Subject:
P42DC Amtrak Loco with SOUND
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 01:15:45 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I just uploaded pictures of my latest train creation.  I modeled the
P42DC Amtrac locomotive seen here:

I originally tried to duplicate the color scheme in that picture but
it look so good.  Instead I used the classic 4558 color scheme:

It's built on a custom 40 stud drop-down wagon plate and includes lights,
spinning fans and authentic diesel sound.

Sound is provided by a Code Pilot from 8479.  Getting the Code Pilot to fit in
a 6 wide train  was not easy.  I had to use various thin wall/equivelant
elements so the buttons and connectors would clear.  Even still, there was no
way to clear the motor output connector without seriously impacting looks
so I removed it.  It snaps out easially once the unit is disassembled,
with no wires to cut.  It can be snaped back in just as easially.
I also had to drop down the center of the wagon plate about two plates
so it would clear the roof.

The code pilot is programed to make the slowest diesel sound when the
sensor reads "in", and rev up through the other 4 speeds when the
sensor input reads "out".  It also revs down through the speeds when the
sensor reads "in" again.  With this programming, and the output from the
train motor connected to the sensor input, the sounds switch based on wether
the train is moving or not.  With DCC, the engine sound can be controlled
independently of motion.  Note, for conventional operation it is necessary to
reverse the polarity of the motor output to make the sound change when the
motor is moving forward instead of reverse.  This is accomplished by connecting
two 9V wires at right angles at the mini-motor.

BTW, the Code Pilot can also output an "air brake" sound, which when programmed
correctly sounds exactly like a steam engine!  The key is to program the
duration of the sound to the desired whoosh period.  It actually shapes the
sound to the programmed period instead of truncating it or letting it go
silent.

The only drawback is that the Code Pilot isn't that loud.  Putting it
in the enclosed loco with a "ladder" as the output port helped amplify
and improve the sound a bit.  Two engines should be louder and I can't
wait to hear what they sound like with "beat interference" between the two.

KL