 Trains / 4873
Re: UK Reddifest Train Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 09:25:36 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
From humble beginnings...

Amongst the pictures of the recent LegoFest held by a small group of AFOLs in
the UK are several of a train layout with some custom trains and stations.

That large station rocks! The paired station tracks with the large platforms
are neato. The platforms may be a bit wide, but using the large pieces is the
only way to go, the mind boggles at the number of gray plates and bricks that
would be otherwise required.

Platform plates are the main issue. Making several platforms run the length of
a metroliner is tough. But I keep searching them out. Many of the ones at the
fest were contributed by the group.

The station is work in progress. I will keep posting pictures up as I complete
each stage.

Is british proto practice typically to use pairs of tracks? US practice
sometimes uses only a single track (which puts platforms on both sides of the
train, sometimes a handy thing.

UK Tracks nearly always run in pairs, or more. There is very little single
track railways except in isolated areas.
As with the reply from holland, there is usually a east/north and a west/south
line each with one platform to the left of the train as it approaches the
station. Often the tracks split so their is a track either side of the two
platforms.
It is also common to have another pair of tracks on main lines that run
through the middle of these with no platforms, so high speed trains that only
stop at major cities can plough straight through. This is where we really need
inner and outer curves as trying to build a layout with 4 parallel tracks is a
pain at the corners.

Large terminus stations are common in UK with say 20 tracks, 10 platforms
arranged in this style.

The recent Eurostar station in London for the Channel tunnel would be a great
thing to model. This is more like an airport terminal with xray security, duty
free shops, all the waiting area is underneath the trains. All your tickets
have indicated which escalator you should go up to come out next to your
designated carriage. All very modern, lots of Glass and steel, sliding doors -
and hence difficult to model!

regards
lawrence