 Trains / 4880
Re: UK Reddifest Train Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 15:28:54 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

Is british proto practice <*> typically to use pairs of tracks? US practice
sometimes uses only a single track (which puts platforms on both sides of the
train, sometimes a handy thing.

I should have added "at stations" between practice and typically, where i put
the <*>

UK Tracks nearly always run in pairs, or more. There is very little single
track railways except in isolated areas.
As with the reply from holland, there is usually a east/north and a west/south
line each with one platform to the left of the train as it approaches the
station. Often the tracks split so their is a track either side of the two
platforms.
It is also common to have another pair of tracks on main lines that run
through the middle of these with no platforms, so high speed trains that only
stop at major cities can plough straight through. This is where we really need
inner and outer curves as trying to build a layout with 4 parallel tracks is a
pain at the corners.

Large terminus stations are common in UK with say 20 tracks, 10 platforms
arranged in this style.

You modeled what we in the US call a Stub End station. Contrast with Through
station. There really aren't any run through considerations for stub end
stations as nothing is running through.

For high volume lines with both local and express service, a double track line
may widen to 4 just before reaching a station to allow express trains to run
through on the inner pair of tracks but this is relativley uncommon in the US.

++Lar